Stilistic device I can't remember

B

Bitmap

Judging from inscriptions like consul iterum and consul tertium, either there was no such law about being consul only once, or it wasn't applied.

I don't have a great overview over transcriptions ... but the one I could remember, the one on the Pantheon, was from post-republican times.

Oh well, it could also be that I once learnt about a 10-year regulation and just forgot it.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Oh, yes, I suppose there may have been such a law at some point but not during the whole of the period when the consulship existed...

B

Bitmap

In the States Certamen last weekend there was a question "What literary device is found in the line 'She saw thunder and lightning'?". They were looking for zeugma, since "saw" does not strictly pertain to "thunder" (cf. manus ac supplices voces ad Tiberium tendens from Tacitus, which Gildersleeve gives as an example for zeugma). I suppose you could also argue hysteron proteron, since the lightning should come before the thunder. I don't think it's a great example of a zeugma, but whatever.

I've just noticed that they probably just took the example from some internet source ... either this one or from the wikipedia page ... it doesn't make it any better, though. I really don't know why they have to conflate zeugma and syllepsis when they could just reduce the definition of 'zeugma' to what is 'type 2' on that wiki page ("he took his hat and his leave") and define the rest as a syllepsis.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

As we're in the area, is there a name for the device in the words attributed to Benjamin Franklin on the necessity of co-operation when planning treason: We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately? In other words, a pun that uses both a metaphorical meaning of a word and its literal one.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

I've just noticed that they probably just took the example from some internet source ... either this one or from the wikipedia page ... it doesn't make it any better, though. I really don't know why they have to conflate zeugma and syllepsis when they could just reduce the definition of 'zeugma' to what is 'type 2' on that wiki page ("he took his hat and his leave") and define the rest as a syllepsis.
99% chance they got it from the wikipedia page.