Strange Things that happen here

Cinefactus

Censor
Staff member
I have never been notified.

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
I have looked at my preferences again and all my alerts are turned on.

Etaoin Shrdlu

μεσσηγυδορποχέστης
I am trying to post a full image of this picture, but the site will only allow a thumbnail. The file is not particularly large, and I have no problems with other pictures. Any ideas what's going on?

advert.jpg

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
I got that once a few days ago. With my dodgy internet connection, I just accept that anything can happen.

Etaoin Shrdlu

μεσσηγυδορποχέστης
I have more or less by accident looked at my account details, and saw that it said:

What are your main reasons for registering here? Be specific. IF GIVE A FACILE REASON LIKE "LEARNING" or "TRANSLATION HELP" your application will be denied.

While I applaud the sentiment, I do think the missing pronoun (and comma) should be inserted.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens
Staff member
That's a strange message given that the main purpose of the forum seems to be helping people with translation requests

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
I agree it's a bit harsh. The idea is probably to avoid spam.

Cinefactus

Censor
Staff member
What are your main reasons for registering here? Be specific. IF GIVE A FACILE REASON LIKE "LEARNING" or "TRANSLATION HELP" your application will be denied.
If I could find the relevant phrase again I would!

I agree it's a bit harsh. The idea is probably to avoid spam.
Before I put this in, the requests would just say, "Translation", which didn't really distinguish between people and bots.

Cinefactus

Censor
Staff member
Found it :)

What are your main reasons for registering here? Be specific—demonstrate that you are not a bot. IF YOU GIVE A FACILE REASON LIKE "LEARNING" or "TRANSLATION HELP" your application will be denied.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
This is what I'm seeing at the bottom of every post right now. I've always been on the English version of the forum, but I take it Cinefactus's recent fiddlings have caused it to turn into hybrid.

Respondere.PNG

Etaoin Shrdlu

μεσσηγυδορποχέστης
So do I. Also, if I highlight a portion of text, instead of the option to 'reply' it's 'respondere', although I haven't got the Latin option selected. That word gets around.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
At the top right of a thread, it says "Observare" in the English version ... if I want it to say "watch" again, I need to switch the language to Latin ... :puzzled:

Cinefactus

Censor
Staff member
At least I got your attention ;)

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
I poked fun at ES earlier today, but there actually is a problem with new uploads.

Is it possible that the server is actually full or something (would seem weird given that I can't even upload a 30 kb pic)?

Cinefactus

Censor
Staff member
I am getting an error too. I have emailed Akela and Nick

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
I'm usually logged in to LatinD automatically, but when I came today I was asked for my login info. I had forgotten that I had changed my password and I managed to get my account blocked by making wrong attempts. Then I found my current password again and, thankfully, the account didn't remain blocked for long. I assume the unusual request for login info was due to you, Cinefactus, or else Nick or Akela, fiddling with the software to fix the uploading issue?

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
The forum asked me to log in again 2 or 3 days ago (even though I'm usually auto-logged in as well and I didn't get logged out in like a year). That was before the problems with the upload occurred, though.