Subordinating Conjunctions

Cutesy

I've just started taking Latin and I'd appreciate some help...

I need a good sentence example for each of the following subordinating conjunctions, preferably on one topic:

although (tametsi)
though (quamquam)
whereas (ubi)
since (cum)
as... is there a word for as?

Please correct me on my Latin translations if I'm wrong.
All I need to see is if there's any difference in how these parts of speech are used differently in Latin (i.e. different punctuation, used before a different part of speech, etc.)

All help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Cato

Consularis

• Consularis

This is a rather broad question to ask, Cutesy; I'll try one of these and guide you to the rest. Let's start with a simple sentence:

"Although I am old, I am happy."

"I am old.", as a stand-alone sentence, is fairly easy: Senex sum.
"I am happy." Ditto: Felix sum.

Tametsi, quamquam, and ubi can all be used to join these sentences in subordination, e.g.:

Quamquam senex sum, felix sum. - "Although I am old, I am happy."

However, the mood in the subordinate clause can also be subjunctive, which gives the clause more of an "alleged" feel. In the example above, the speaker is admitting he/she is old, yet he is still happy. Make that subjunctive, and the mood changes:

Quamquam senex sim, felix sum. - "Although I may be old, I am happy."[/i]

The speaker in this sentence is not admiting he/she is old; a fuller translation would go something like "Although I may or may not be old (which is irrelevant), I am happy."

Cum is a little different. As you are probably aware, cum introducing an indicative clause is usually translated "when" and helps to define a particular moment in time. Cum with the subjunctive usually is more abstract, giving the circumstances or reason for the action in the main clause. The translation you gave for cum - "since" falls in this second category.

The English word "As" is a bit of a chameleon for translation; I wrote a post on it some time ago in this thread; take a look.

Cutesy

Alright, thanks so much! I've never thought that subordinate conjunctions can actually be so challenging... I even printed your little guide out for future reference! Thanks again!