success is to overcome adversity

A

Anonymous

can any1 tell me the latin translation of "success is to overcome adversity"?? this is a phrase i adore and almost live my life by?? many thanks birdie09

Cato

Consularis

• Consularis

My translation--one that slightly modifies the original-- is Vincere est pervincere detrimentos. I think however your question will generate a lot of comment.

You should realize that Latin does not have the rich vocabulary of English; as such the common word vincere - "conquer" also includes the idea of "succeed". In general then, "overcome" and "succeed" use the same word in Latin.

It's a matter of opinion then if the same word can be used in both locations of the maxim. I'm generally against this, but classical Latin offers only a few alternatives to vincere. I ultimately settled on the related pervincere - "rout, utterly conquer", since I think the maxim's idea is that the defeat of adversity is essential, and so is of a greater degree than the resultant success. Evincere is also a possibility here, but my taste is that the prefix per is more emphatic.

I'm not very happy with detrimentum - "adversity". One should note first off that for the Romans many nouns we consider abstract were more concrete. Glibly, a Roman wouldn't say he overcame adversity, but that he overcame adverse things. Thus, I choose the plural detrimentos. However there are more specific alternates like calamitates, the wordy res arduas or fortunam malam - "bad luck".

In summary, the maxim presents a challenge in classical Latin becasue abstract ideas like the nuance between "suceed" and "overcome" and the notion of "adversity" need to be converted into concrete equivalents. Late/Medieval Latin is better equipped with abstract terms, and I'm interested in the board's opinions.

deudeditus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I like the play on uincere. :mrgreen:
overcome could just be translated as superare. A little less memorable and cool-sounding, but it works i guess. unless I am wrong, in which case, let me know. :D

-Jon

Cato

Consularis

• Consularis

deudeditus dixit:
Overcome could just be translated as superare. A little less memorable and cool-sounding, but it works i guess.
I think you're right; superare can stand in for "overcome"; not as cool, but correct.

Students, please note that superare has a second intransitive meaning "be abundant"; a rich man would say pecunia superat - "Money is abundant", but a truly rich man would say pecuniam superavi - "I have overcome money", i.e. the need for it).

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

How about aspera ("difficulties") for "adversity?

My first thought here involved successus and superare:

Successus est aspera superare.

This is doubtless a more plodding and direct a translation than chjones elegant version-- but I don't like equating vincere with its compound.