Inspirational Take the time it takes (or, Take the time that is necessary)

Hi all, I'm working on a motto for a coat of arms that I am designing for my wife (just for a fun gift). I'm hoping to use a maxim that she frequently uses as the motto, and maybe refine it a bit.

She got the quote from a popular equestrian trainer, but she applies it to other aspects of her life: "Take the time it takes, and it will take less time." I'd like to shorten this to "Take the time it takes," or "Take the time that is necessary."

I think I'm maybe close with "Consume tempus necesse est," but I'm not really sure about it. Could someone check it?

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Hi,

That isn't correct.

For "Take the time it takes/take the time that is necessary" I would say sume temporis quantumcumque est necessarium or, alternatively, sume temporis quantumcumque res poscit.

But the wordplay with "take" is lost in translation.

Thank you, I think you are right--although the result is less "elegant" than I'd hoped, so it will be tough to get that on a banner.

Could "quantumcumque" be dropped? It might change the meaning a bit. Sume temporis necessarium seems right for "Take the necessary time" but maybe not?

Hi,

That isn't correct.

For "Take the time it takes/take the time that is necessary" I would say sume temporis quantumcumque est necessarium or, alternatively, sume temporis quantumcumque res poscit.

But the wordplay with "take" is lost in translation.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member