Tarquinius Priscus, qui a Romanis expulsus erat

A

Anonymous

im having some trouble with this translation!! i hope someone can help me out!!!
Thanks!!!

Tarquinius Priscus, qui a Romanis expulsus erat, ad Lartem Porsennam, regem Etruscorum, processit. Tenesne memoria? Reges Tarquinii erant Etrusci.

Auxilio Porsenae Tarquinius Priscus regnum Romae recipere speravit. Porsena cum magno exercitu Romam venit. Magnus terror populum occupavit; omnibus nomine Porsenae territis, populi agros reliquerunt et ad urbem venerunt. Ibi alia loca muris, alia flumine Tiberi munita sunt.

Pons sublicius tamen hostibus iter paene dedit, sed unus vir fortis, Horatius Cocles, erat in ponte. Horatius, impetu hostis incepto, suos homines salutem in urbe petere et pontem rescindere iussit: Dixit “Hostem retinebo.”

Duo socii cum eo remanserunt. Hi tres impetum Porsenae paulisper sustinuerunt; tum Horatius, ponte rescisso, eos salutem invenire iussit.

Denique, Horatius Etruscos promotos vidit. Non iam valere potest. Suis armis pressus, in Tiberim desiluit! Tutus ad socios Romanos pervenit! "Tanta virtus!" clamaverunt cives. Statuam eius in loco claro :)

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I think the general consenus regarding Latin to English translations, especially those that are rather clearly homework assignments, is that you attempt to do them, and then we go through and point out your mistakes and say why they are mistakes. Would you please do so?

Andy

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Indeed, QMF is totally right, you have to do the main effort, only like that you'll learn.

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

I don't want to seem unhelpful.

Tarquinius Priscus, who had been expelled by the Romans, went to Lars Porsenna, a king of the Etruscans. Do you remember? The Tarquins, kings [in Rome] were Etruscans.

Hmmm. This seems pretty straightforward. The only stumbling-block I see is the Etrusco-Roman proper names.

So as qmf and Andy say, if we just translate this for you, you've gained very little. If we can help you translate it, we've perhaps helped you a great deal. I've started it just above. Why don't you try the next part?

Auxilio Porsennae Tarquinus Priscus regnum Romae recipere speravit.

I'll even give you a hint: I think that auxilio is here an "ablative of means". We'll help you get through this, no sweat, but you need to take point. Give that sentence a shot now-- if there's words you can't figure, put in blanks. But give it a shot.