Tea Tree and adjectives and genitives

I was looking at a bottle of tea tree oil and it occurred to me that I am not certain of the best way to translate word combinations like this. I see three possibilities (but I could be wrong on a lot of levels) also, if there is an official name for the tea tree plant, that's fine. I really just want advice the concept.

1. thea arbor - tea tree: this is the name of the thing so both are nouns that stay in the same case
2. theīna arbor - tea tree: here tea is an adjective (if there is a better way of forming this adjective let me know)
3. theae arbor - tree of tea: tea is in the genitive

Please understand that the term "tea tree" is truly incidental. my main question is how to approach the fact that in English we take two (or more) words and use them as a unit.

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Juxtaposing nouns is an English quirk, other languages may not work like that. Latin prefers adjectives. As for this particular adjective, I think theaceus is better. There are hits in Google, cf. Portuguese teáceo "related to tea".

Thank you so much. On a very similar note, I am reading something currently that was written by someone else. and for "ice cream shop" they have tabernam crēmō gelidō intrat. This seems odd to me. Is this an ablative or dative use I'm not familiar with?

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Very odd, cf. taberna condimentaria. Maybe another neologism would be more appropriate. For instance, in Italian it's gelato, in Portuguese it's gelado, so in Latin in could be gelatum (participle of gelare; ice cream is cold because it had been deliberately frozen). Which yields taberna gelataria. I don't know how barbaric it sounds, but at least reminds of Italian gelateria. Nice. :) You don't think anything beats Italian ice cream, do you?

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Look, gelatum must be fine if lac is implied.

I definitely understand the difficulty with ice cream, but I know his source for that. My primary issue is that I would have expected it to be in the genitive (crēmī gelātī) store of ice cream, rather than the dat/abl. Or should I use an adjectival form.

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

An adjective would be perfect, but how do you form one out of two words? Anyway, if you use crem?? for "cream", I think you can't make it any worse.

Last edited:
Ok, so it looks like crēmum should be crāmum. I can definitely find crāmum. (I know that may still not be the best word for ice cream)
Also, I think what this author may have been trying to say is he goes into the store for ice cream (making crāmō gelidō dative). would that be a correct reading?

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

In modern taxonomy (and possibly even Latin literature), quercus = "oak" and the "tree" part was implied.
In modern taxonomy we have
Family Theaceae, and 5 genera:
Camellia, Franklinia, Gordonia, Laplacea, and Stewartia.

Only the first one might be recognizable to an ancient Roman.

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

As for the possible genitive. The point is that not every grammatically correct expression is admissible in a language. So the question is whether it's safe to say taberna + gen. of ware. The fact is that I can see no such example in LTL. All the examples have either an adjective or the genitive of the master, e. g. taberna lanionis. So if you know the term for the person who makes ice cream, you are done. (Personally, I like gelator.)

robinschweitzer

Juxtaposing nouns is an English quirk, other languages may not work like that. Latin prefers adjectives. As for this particular adjective, I think theaceus is better. There are hits in Google, cf. Portuguese teáceo "related to tea".
You call juxtaposition a quirk. I would suggest that it is a great boon of English and one of the many advantages it has over romance languages.