Technology

A

Anonymous

Hello Everyone.

I joined this because I am going into business for myself after years of working for others. I will be offering IT services to Doctors Offices. I would like to use Latin in the Business name, just a feeling that Doctors may like that. I am interested in Latin words for anything toward that end.

Quality
truthfulness
expertise
know-how
skill
knowledge
Technology

Etc.

Any ideas from someone fluent in Latin for a business name that would be catchy for IT services. I want to give the impression that a very skilled individual will be handling their network. (which is true )

Hope this question is appropriate. Thank you.

Regards,
Emile

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Expertise, skill-peritas
Know-how-scientia? Literally knowledge, hence fitting your knowledge word.
Technology lacks an equivalent in Latin I believe, I can transliterate it into Greek for you I think: τεχνολογος
Quality...I'm interested to see what people propose there.

Cato

Consularis

• Consularis

There are few Latin equivalents for the specific terms the OP posts. For example, my Traupman suggests officinarum artes - literally "The arts/skills of workshops" for "technology". Frankly I think that's awful, but I can't think of anything better, which is perhaps the point.

There are specific words in Latin which fall within the range of the suggested list. Ingenium is a word which means "genius, talent,ingenuity", so perhaps this is something the OP can use. Ars - "skill, craft, art" is another possibility.

Qualitas, -atis is listed as "quality" in my dictionary, but I'm betting this is very late Latin and so something of a cheat. Virtus is closer, but this word is commonly associated with personal quality (i.e. morality) and so may be inappropriate here. Ars accurationis would be my vote, though I'm not particularly thrilled with it...

A

Anonymous

:applause:
Thank you for the excellent input. I have found inspiration here.

Regards,
Emile

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Virtus is an interesting word. It can be translated as the word that English obtained from it (i.e., virtue) but it is also manliness in a very Roman sense, which includes being a very emotional person (e.g., Aeneas' great sadness at the death of Pallas shows virtus).

Here however I would not use it.

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

I think Veritas is a good idea; even those docs with little or no Latin may well know what that one means.

There is another Latin word that you might want to consider: peritia. It means "practical knowledge", "experience", or "skill".

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

I'm sorry, QMF; somehow your post suggesting "peritas" wasn't up on my machine when I posted suggesting peritia.

But I can't find "peritas" anywhere; can you provide a citation?

Andy

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

perit.as ADJ 1 1 ACC P F POS
peritus, perita -um, peritior -or -us, peritissimus -a -um ADJ [XXXBX]
skilled, skillful; experienced, expert; with gen;

Just though this might help, Iynx.

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Oh my mistake. I'm so used to the -tas form that I forgot that words ending in -tus in the masculine singular or present participles (e.g., peritus, sciens) don't use -tas but rather -tia. So yes it would be peritia.