Tempus Signum

ScottMo

Hi,

I am an author and want to use the Latin phrase 'Tempus Signum' in my next book.
However I want to be sure of the translation.
So, I'm reaching out for your help.
I know what each word means, but what, if anything, do they mean together?

Many thanks for any help given!

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

"Time is a sign".

Probably not what you were trying to say. What is the English phrase you need translated?

ScottMo

Pacifica,

I want a snappy title lol. It need to relate to 'Time' and to 'Symbols' and/or 'signs'. I know (at least I think!) Tempus is time and Signum is sign/symbol, so that fits nicely. But I wondered what they meant together. Google says it means 'a signal'. If so, that'd be great, but I am aware Google isn't so great with Latin!

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

They don't make a whole lot of sense together like that, but tempus signum can be interpreted as "time is a sign", as I said. Google Translate is wrong, as it almost always is with Latin, and left out the translation of tempus entirely.

Do you have any idea how you'd like to combine the ideas of "time" and "sign/symbol" in a more meaningful way?

Last edited:

ScottMo

Thank you. To be honest, for my needs and application, the loose translation of ' time is a sign', coupled with the translation of each word separately, is good enough. I realise this is not 'proper Latin' and I truly appreciate it may make some annoyed, for which I apologise. In this case, though, I do not need it to be any more than a loose translation.

I truly appreciate your time and help on this! Thank you!