The Art Thread

Issacus Divus

ᛏᚱᛁᚾᚴᚱ•ᚼᛁᛘᛘᛁᚾᛋ
four_col_Zarathushtra.jpg

Issacus Divus

ᛏᚱᛁᚾᚴᚱ•ᚼᛁᛘᛘᛁᚾᛋ
Must I even tell you his name?

@Issacus Divus, other than Nietzsche's use of this prophet as the protagonist for his philosophical work are there any semblances between Nietzsche's Zarathustra and the Zoroastrianism itself?

It appears not to me from what I've just been reading on Zoroastrianism but you might have an insight here if you're also familiar with the religion.

Last edited:

Issacus Divus

ᛏᚱᛁᚾᚴᚱ•ᚼᛁᛘᛘᛁᚾᛋ
In literal terms, they go in opposite directions, but in more mystic terms I believe they are quite similar.

Issacus Divus

ᛏᚱᛁᚾᚴᚱ•ᚼᛁᛘᛘᛁᚾᛋ
Like, for instance, in Zarathustrianism, the Absolute Eternal is everything, and discovering it works to your self-betterment. Staying in the delusion of life, separation from Ahura Mazda, is the greatest sin.

I'm sure Nietzsche choose him because 1. He predates and influences Abrahamic thought, 2. Had a message of God that is more Dharmic that separate, and 3. Was somewhat inspired by him.

I'm sure Nietzsche choose him because 1. He predates and influences Abrahamic thought,
Ah, influence. Interestingly (from what I've read today) Carl Jung in his lectures said that while "Nietzsche chose a most dignified and worthy model for his wise old man,” he also took him for "the founder of the Christian dogma" that he (Nietzsche) so vehemently opposed.

2. Had a message of God that is more Dharmic that separate,
As in more at one with natural law?

3. Was somewhat inspired by him.
Are these your own personal thoughts or does Nietzsche allude to this prophet or religion in other works? I've only read of his Beyond Good and Evil and TSZ so I'm not overly familiar with both tbh (as in author and religion).

Edit: grammar was awful, had to.

Last edited:

Issacus Divus

ᛏᚱᛁᚾᚴᚱ•ᚼᛁᛘᛘᛁᚾᛋ
Yes, natural law. In this case, viewing literally everything as the divine will.

Admittedly I said that was somewhat inspired on my own thoughts; the two differ philosophically, ( Isuppose you could argue for a nihilistic view within Zarathustrianism) but I'm sure he had to be for such a great work that Also Sprach Zarathustra is.

Ta.

I need to do a bit more reading on zoroastrianism as my only contact with it thus far was through a documentary on the silk road a few years ago.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
WW2 Mural, Foxglove Street, Belfast

wartime-ni-polish-mural-east-belfast.jpg

WW2 Mural "Band of Brothers", Shankill, Northern Ireland
Band-of-Brothers-mural-Belfast-NI.jpg

WW2 mural dedicated to US Marines of Iwo Jima , Amherst, Ohio

asi0812-SealKrete-img-feature.jpg

WW2 mural, artwork by Carlos Aguilar, Santa Anna, California
74c526499246640f8dee751407510234.jpg

Last edited: