The Art Thread

Tironis

Civis Illustris

Tironis

Civis Illustris
Surely not old enough to smoke!

Agrippa

There is another cigarette still smouldering (?) put down on the tablecloth... What is going to happen next?

Tironis

Civis Illustris
Hmmm - her partner in crime probably gone to the bathroom. Not sure about "next". Looks more like a question of what happened the previous night - but probably no prize for guessing!

Decided to visit Worcester cathedral yesterday. Amid the medieval and Victorian architecture I was a bit surprised to see this frontal at the high altar. Not a good fit to my mind, a bit garish maybe considering its location within the cathedral, dunno.

Just out of view is King John's tomb.
35469014516_448cb52823.jpg

Tironis

Civis Illustris
Decided to visit Worcester cathedral yesterday. Amid the medieval and Victorian architecture I was a bit surprised to see this frontal at the high altar. Not a good fit to my mind, a bit garish maybe considering its location within the cathedral, dunno.

Just out of view is King John's tomb.
View attachment 10612
Certainly eye-catching, if a bit garish as you say.

The hanging in front of the altar made by local artists in 1969 shows the colours of the liturgical year and represents the Cathedral’s pinnacles reflected in the waters of the river Severn flowing nearby.

Certainly eye-catching, if a bit garish as you say.

The hanging in front of the altar made by local artists in 1969 shows the colours of the liturgical year and represents the Cathedral’s pinnacles reflected in the waters of the river Severn flowing nearby.
Yes it is eye-catching and I suppose some would think a piece of modernism is quite fitting for a cathedral, I mean I've seen some interesting pieces of modernism and post-modernism in cathedrals before, just not around the high altar.

But why not I suppose, local artists, the connection with the Severn, etc.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
I think it doesn't go well with its surroundings. There's a style mismatch.

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
I don't see any point in mixing two such very different styles, unless it's to make an ecclesiastical political point i.e. we are not bound by tradition. I wouldn't put neo-gothic artefacts in a modern concrete-box church nor would I put such an antependium in any church more than a hundred years old.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Vittorio Reggianini, The Recital

1280px-Vittorio_Reggianini_-_The_Recital.jpg

Last edited:
I don't see any point in mixing two such very different styles, unless it's to make an ecclesiastical political point i.e. we are not bound by tradition. I wouldn't put neo-gothic artefacts in a modern concrete-box church nor would I put such an antependium in any church more than a hundred years old.
Sometimes Lichfield cathedral puts up temporary galleries of a local(ish) artists in the aisle and hosts musical performances from the likes of cellists to more contemporary stuff as well as their choral stuff. I have no objections to this myself because it opens itself up to the outside a little and brings people in thus generating a bit of revenue too. That said the type of people this sort of thing attracts are not normally there for the purpose of worship.

I realize your critique is aimed more at fixed modern installations within an old church or cathedral - as in that frontal beside the High Altar - but I was wondering on your views about stuff like this too.