The Art Thread

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Sorry, Adrian, I've never heard of that artist.
I didn't tag you in reference of Batowski per se, just to let you know the Polish artists which are recently mentioned in this thread (some of them from Lwów). A thing to be proud of.

Jacek Malczewski, Hamlet Polski (Polish Hamlet), 1903 - National Museum in Warsaw
1280px-Jacek_Malczewski_-_Polish_Hamlet_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Ah, I was wondering on the figures either side of him but it appears (from a little read) they are interpreted as being two symobolic fates of Poland.

Tironis

Civis Illustris
Ah, I was wondering on the figures either side of him but it appears (from a little read) they are interpreted as being two symobolic fates of Poland.
You're probably right - although I was wondering whether they were Ophelia and Gertrude.

Tironis

Civis Illustris
Just having another look at that Hamlet. A Polish friend of mine from Krakow looks a bit like that. What is that girl on the left wearing - or rather not wearing? ;)

Agrippa

Civis Illustris
She is wearing rags, because she was just released from dungeon :puzzled:

Adrian

Civis Illustris
@Agrippa et alii amici quibus interest. (vide appendix)

Artwork of Jan Matejko (from Poczet Królów Polskich) - King Kazimierz Wielki (Casimir the Great) - Left; Królowa Jadwiga (Queen Hedvig) - right
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b1/Kazimierz_III_Wielki.jpg

Attachments

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Very nice indeed.

Etaoin Shrdlu

μεσσηγυδορποχέστης
Having said that, I've seen less about than formerly, but that might be just me. And I do rather like them, in case I sounded accidently dismissive.

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
That would be Rick Shawed.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member

Adrian

Civis Illustris
William Collins, The South and East Front of Clumber House, Nottinghamshire

the-south-and-east-front-of-clumber-house-nottinghamshire.jpg

Agrippa