The Art Thread

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Neoclassicism (my favourite)

Jacques-Louis David, Andromache Mourning Hector (1783)

Jacques-Louis David, Napoleon Crossing the Alps (1801)

Jane_Needham,_Mrs_Myddleton,_1663-5_by_Lely.jpg

Jane Myddelton from The Windsor Beauties collection.

She had many admirers. Seccombe's entry in the DoNB reads as follows:

"representing a soft and slightly torpid type of blonde loveliness, with voluptuous figure, full lips, auburn hair, and dark hazel eyes".

Vanitas was a Dutch and Flemish still life movement of the 17th century. Themes around time, life, beauty, decay and death. Imagery include insects, fob watches, flowers, skulls, stifled candles and treasured possessions.

I think they're lovely myself.

Adriaen van Utrecht 1642
cc9d5194d30a980412ec1c15a5780f8a.jpg

Willem van Aelst 1663
Flower_still_life_with_a_watch_by_Willem_van_Aelst.jpg

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Amid the broken symbols of monarchy the pitiful 'Lion of Lucerne' lies dying, a spear sits impaled in its shoulder. It's a powerfully moving piece of sculpture. Designed by Bertel Thorvaldsen 1820-21 this monument commemorates the deaths of over six hundred swiss guards in defence of the monarchy at Tuileries Palace (1792). Helvetiorum Fidei ac Virtuti.

View attachment 3830

View attachment 3831

View attachment 3832

The Lion lies in his lair in the perpendicular face of a low cliff — for he is carved from the living rock of the cliff. His size is colossal, his attitude is noble. His head is bowed, the broken spear is sticking in his shoulder, his protecting paw rests upon the lilies of France. Vines hang down the cliff and wave in the wind, and a clear stream trickles from above and empties into a pond at the base, and in the smooth surface of the pond the lion is mirrored, among the water-lilies.

Around about are green trees and grass. The place is a sheltered, reposeful woodland nook, remote from noise and stir and confusion — and all this is fitting, for lions do die in such places, and not on granite pedestals in public squares fenced with fancy iron railings. The Lion of Lucerne would be impressive anywhere, but nowhere so impressive as where he is.

Mark Twain, A Tramp Abroad, 1880
Wow, what a beautiful and moving sculpture.

Yeah it is. Very romantic and so it should be as it sits smack bang in the middle of this period.

Have you ever seen The Temple of Aesculapius? Slightly earlier than romanticism proper but all the signs are there.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Have to admit. there is this je ne sais quoi about italian renaissance art that makes it so disctinctive and impressive. IMHO....

Issacus Divus

ᛏᚱᛁᚾᚴᚱ•ᚼᛁᛘᛘᛁᚾᛋ
Oh definitely. Sometimes when I view an Renaissance work I really can’t put my finger on what’s genius about it, but I can clearly see that it is genius.

Have to admit. there is this je ne sais quoi about italian renaissance art that makes it so disctinctive and impressive. IMHO....
Interesting. I wonder if you're picking up on mannerism that was used from the mid to late period of italian renaissance.

I only say because mannerism is a distinctive style to me and it's on display in above Lorenzo portrait too.

Lads, have a read up on mad lad Lorenzo (above). There was a family called the Pazzi who tried to assassinate him and his brother. They killed the latter but Lorenzo managed to escape. And revenge was sweet, boys. The Pazzi bodycount went through the roof.

I'd sooner talk shit to Agamemnon and Menelaus than mess with the Medici.

I was referring to period of high renaissance till mannerism (works of Botticelli; Michelangelo, Leonardo Da Vinci, Raphael Santi, Donatello, El Greco)

Michelangelo*, Creation of Adam, Sistine Chapel ca. 1512

View attachment 7870

*arguably the greatest sculpture sculptor of all time (IMHO)

I see. And what of mannerism? And the later baroque styles for that matter? Too much pethaps? I hope not.

I should say regarding you Michelangelo Piata. I do have one, it's not something I would showcase per se but I spotted it in a secondhand shop and nabbed it due to it being what it is and all.