The Art Thread

Agrippa

Civis Illustris
LVPA CAPITOLINA (Sunt qui dicant eam factam esse aetate quae vocatur media):
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/aa/Capitoline_she-wolf_Musei_Capitolini_MC1181.jpg/640px-Capitoline_she-wolf_Musei_Capitolini_MC1181.jpg

Adrian

Civis Illustris
@Agrippa , nice of you to bring back sculpture to this thread:thumb-up:

Auguste Rodin, Le Penseur [Thinker] (1904), Rodin Museum in Paris
Genre: sculpture, bronze, impressionism.

Thinker-Auguste-Rodin-Museum-Paris-1904.jpg

Agrippa

Civis Illustris
Walther von der Vogelweide (medieval German poet, 1170-1230):
Ich saz ûf eime steine, und dahte bein mit beine; dar ûf satzt ich den ellenbogen; ich hete in mîne hant gesmogen daz kinne und ein mîn wange.
> I sat upon a rock and crossed my legs and propped my elbow on my knee, and cradled chin and cheek inside my hand.
1604389622476.png

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Arguably the greatest sculpture work of 20th century; certainly the greatest sculpture of French impressionism
Inspired by Dante's Divine Comedy, it became Rodin's opus vitae.

Auguste Rodin, La Porte de l'Enfer, [The Gates of Hell] (1880-1917); Musée Rodin, Paris

The-Gates-of-Hell-Musee-Rodin-Paris-France.jpg
F1929-7-128v1-pma.jpg

IMHO the most beautiful reproduction of Rodin's opus magnum is situated in Mexico City (La Puerta del Infierno), Museo Soumaya, Mexico
@Hemo Rusticus @Quintilianus
1430px-La_puerta_del_Infierno_.jpg

Last edited:

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
... itum est in uiscera terrae.

Lasciate ogne speranza ...

Adrian

Civis Illustris
... itum est in uiscera terrae.

Lasciate ogne speranza ...
wikipedia dixit:
The Three Shades (Les Trois Ombres) was originally 98 cm high. The over-life size group was initially made of three independent figures in 1899. Later on, Rodin replaced one hand in the figures to fuse them together, in the same form as the smaller version. The figures originally pointed to the phrase "Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate" ("Abandon all hope, ye who enter here") from Canto III of the Inferno.[6]

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Antonio Canova, Orpheus (right) and Eurydice (left); (1776) ; Museo Correr, Venice

02orpheu.jpg
01orpheu.jpg
00orpheu.jpg

Last edited:

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Frederic Leighton, Orpheus and Eurydice (1864)

orpheus-and-euridice-1864.jpg

Agrippa

Civis Illustris
Jerzy Siemiginowski-Eleuter: Bacchus i Ariadna (1860)
1605104431134.png

Agrippa

Civis Illustris
Jean-Louis David: Apelles Painting Pancaspe
Alexander conferred upon him (sc. Apelles) a very signal mark of the high estimation in which he held him; for having, in his admiration of her extraordinary beauty, engaged Apelles to paint Pancaspe undraped, the most beloved of all his concubines, the artist while so engaged, fell in love with her; upon which, Alexander, perceiving this to be the case, made him a present of her (Plin. nat. 35, 86; transl. Bostock/Riley).
1605262981763.png