The Art Thread

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Liverpool seen through the eyes of John Atkinson Grimshaw (Romanticism, so don't expect horse manure)

Liverpool from Wapping (1875)
liverpool-from-wapping-1875.jpg

Liverpool Customs House
liverpool-customs-house.jpg

I can see no picture there.
I had some technical issues - problems with uploading the pics.

Last edited:

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Portrait of Joséphine-Éléonore-Marie-Pauline de Galard de Brassac de Béarn (1825–1860), Princesse de Broglie (phew, what a kilometric name!) by Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres. Look at the folds in the cloth of the woman's dress and chair, and how the textures are rendered. Also the jewelry. Zoom in if you can to see the details. Simply stunning!
DP-19264-001.jpg

And here's another piece by the same artist which I like very much: "Vergil reading the Aeneid to Augustus, Livia and Octavia": https://www.artrenewal.org/Common/Image?imageId=127915

Last edited:

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Liverpool seen through the eyes of John Atkinson Grimshaw (Romanticism, so don't expect horse manure)

Liverpool from Wapping (1875)
View attachment 12166

Liverpool Customs House
View attachment 12167

I had some technical issues - problems with uploading the pics.
Those are very nice, especially the first. It has been posted before, actually — was it by @Tironis, or did he only comment on it that the glow of the windows was hypnotic? I'm not sure.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Those are very nice, especially the first. It has been posted before, actually — was it by @Tironis, or did he only comment on it that the glow of the windows was hypnotic? I'm not sure.
Oh dear, I haven't noticed:oops: Luckily Grimshaw is such a splendid cityscape painter that I might actually get away with it.:D

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
You sure do!

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Grimshaw's artwork contains one of the most beautiful autumn landscapes I have ever seen.

Autumn Morning
autumn-morning.jpg

Knostrop Hall, Early Morning
knostrop-hall-early-morning.jpg

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Grimshaw's artwork contains one of the most beautiful autumn landscapes I have ever seen.

Autumn Morning
autumn-morning.jpg
That is indeed very beautiful. And the leaves look so real!