The Correction Thread

B

Bitmap

I would understand both phrases as optatives, even with the utinam missing (which is not necessary for fulfillable wishes). That makes a bit more sense if the original sentence is "I pray that etc".

Both the optative and the jussive subjunctive are per se directed to the future.

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

harmlessgoat22 dixit:
Crēditisne linguam* Latīnam innovābit?
*I originally used the nominative, but I saw somewhere else that accusative is used.
If you want to say that someone will renew Latin, then lingua Latina is the object and it must be in the accusative. But if you speak about the Latin language (that is it's the subject), then it must be nominative (as all subjects) and the verb must be passive: innovābitur.

harmlessgoat22 dixit:
Ūnam problemam dēprehendō esse** ut vocabularium Latīnum est parvum.
**I originally used "est" but I saw here that "esse" is used instead.
Right, it's accūsātīvus cum īnfīnītīvō, a very common Latin turn that corresponds in particular to English that-clauses.

Mind that *vocābulārium is not a classic word. I'd rephrase the whole sentence... But you needn't care. Be bold and write as much as you can. It's a good practice and no one expects eloquence from a novice.

harmlessgoat22 dixit:
Nōn aliquot verba crēdere dēbēmus.
This is what I don't understand at all. :D

As for the "shirts" problem I'm not sure, but personally I would use plural. :?

Further notes:

ego has short o (unless sometimes in poetry) due to the iambic reduction (I don't know how exactly it's called in English);

problēma, atis is masculine (Greek declension).

BTW I'm glad that you care about the pronunciation. Have you found an easy way for yourself to write macrons?

harmlessgoat22

Quasus dixit:
harmlessgoat22 dixit:
Crēditisne linguam* Latīnam innovābit?
*I originally used the nominative, but I saw somewhere else that accusative is used.
If you want to say that someone will renew Latin, then lingua Latina is the object and it must be in the accusative. But if you speak about the Latin language (that is it's the subject), then it must be nominative (as all subjects) and the verb must be passive: innovābitur.
Thank you for your help, Quasus. I was asking about the accusative because the question was "Do you believe that this will happen?", and "this will happen" would be the object of the sentence (I think), so I thought you might've needed accusative...I did forget about the passive thing though. I was thinking the verb meant "to be renewed" not "to renew". Silly mistake ;)

Quasus dixit:
Mind that *vocābulārium is not a classic word. I'd rephrase the whole sentence... But you needn't care. Be bold and write as much as you can. It's a good practice and no one expects eloquence from a novice.
I am using a Latin dictionary thing that integrates into my Mac's Dictionary app. I don't know how to tell when a certain word is from...For the entry, it says...
vocabularium
N (2nd) N [GXXEK]
vocabulary
I'm assuming "[GXXEK]" has something to do with the time period, but I don't know what that means. Is it Roman numerals? Or does it stand for something...? Thanks

Quasus dixit:
harmlessgoat22 dixit:
Nōn aliquot verba crēdere dēbēmus.
This is what I don't understand at all. :D
This was a pretty big fail on my part :) What I meant to say was "We would need to add not just a few words." (I couldn't remember "many" was "multus" at the time...) Hahahahaha

Quasus dixit:
Further notes:

ego has short o (unless sometimes in poetry) due to the iambic reduction (I don't know how exactly it's called in English);

BTW I'm glad that you care about the pronunciation. Have you found an easy way for yourself to write macrons?
Thank you again for all your help :)
Yes, I have found a quite easy way of doing it. I just enabled the extended US keyboard on my mac, and now option+a gives me a yellow "¯" and you just push the key of the vowel that you want to put under it :D

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Alcuin dixit:
1. I suspect you're drawing "meus Deus" from the Vulgate, no? I'm 90% sure Jerome, probably because the Greek was in the nominative rather than vocative, translates Jesus' cry from the cross ("Eloi, Eloi, llama sabachtani," or something like that) as "Deus meus." Just a thought; "mi" is definitely the correct vocative.
No, in the Greek the vocative θεέ μου is used. There never was a special vocative form of the word deus in Latin, so Jerome just opts to use the nominative as a vocative instead.

Quasus dixit:
It's neuter, actually. Unum problema.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

harmlessgoat22 dixit:
Thank you for your help, Quasus. I was asking about the accusative because the question was "Do you believe that this will happen?", and "this will happen" would be the object of the sentence (I think), so I thought you might've needed accusative...I did forget about the passive thing though. I was thinking the verb meant "to be renewed" not "to renew". Silly mistake ;)
It should be Creditisne fore* ut lingua Latina innovetur? or Creditisne linguam latinam innovatum iri?

*fore is a contracted form of futurum esse, which alternatively could be used as well.

harmlessgoat22 dixit:
This was a pretty big fail on my part :) What I meant to say was "We would need to add not just a few words." (I couldn't remember "many" was "multus" at the time...) Hahahahaha
I would say: Verba non tantum pauca addere opus esset nobis.

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Imber Ranae dixit:
Quasus dixit:
It's neuter, actually. Unum problema.
Oh, thanks a lot! Of course, it's a blunder. Problēma, aenigma... And I'm glad that you've made some comments: being a student I feel ill at ease when critiquing.

harmlessgoat22

Imber Ranae dixit:
It should be Creditisne fore* ut lingua Latina innovetur? or Creditisne linguam latinam innovatum iri?

*fore is a contracted form of futurum esse, which alternatively could be used as well.

[…]

I would say: Verba non tantum pauca addere opus esset nobis.
Ah. I saw "fore" in Quasus' reply, but I couldn't find what it meant...

Could you give a translation of "Verba nōn..." ? Thank you.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

harmlessgoat22 dixit:

Could you give a translation of "Verba nōn..." ? Thank you.
With the words rearranged to accomodate an order more natural to English:

Esset opus nobis addere non tantum pauca verba. [literally] "There would be need for us to add not just a few words"

Broken down word by word:

Esset "There would be" [imperfect subjunctive in apodosis of an implied contrary-to-fact conditional, i.e. "if such and such were so, there would be..."] opus "need" [subject nominative] nobis "for us" [dative of reference, as commonly found with the construction opus est, e.g. opus est mihi "there is need for me (to do something)."] addere "to add" [the opus est construction may take a nominative or (more commonly) an ablative noun to indicate what is needed, or (as here) it can take an infinitive to indicate what needs to be done, i.e. "to add"] non tantum "not just" [The neuter accusative of tantus,-a,-um "so great" is often used as an adverb that means "only/just so much"] pauca verba "few words" [direct object of the infinitive addere]

Hope that's helpful.

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

harmlessgoat22 dixit:
Another time when you see something noticeable in my writings you can inquire about it, because it's highly probable that I've picked it from a book rather then invented myself. :D

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

paruos dixit:
somnium meum ministráre laboratorium Latíni Latínum loquendo, ut Anglici classes habui cum iuuenis eram ... :brickwall:

(sentio me longe esse a tempore cum potero hoc facere.)

et uos, quid putant?
It seems to me that somnium is rather a dream that a day-dream. Cupiō is safe.

ministrare laboratorium :?

Latinum loquendo -> Latīnē loquēns
Anglici classes -> Anglicās scholās
cum iuuenis eram -> cum juvenis essem
quid putant -> quid putātis, quid arbitrāminī

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

paruos dixit:
non etiam nunc
nondum melius sonat quam 'non etiam nunc'

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

dixit sapiens antiquus aliquis

Better: dixit sapiens aliquis antiquus

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

"Quot plus libella scribetur de Pottero?"

Better: Quanto plures libelli [libri?] scribentur de Pottero? or Quanto amplius librorum scribetur de Pottero?

B

Bitmap

Matthaeus dixit:
dixit sapiens antiquus aliquis

Better: dixit sapiens aliquis antiquus
the best option would probably be quidam rather than aliquis

paruos

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

non uisi :shock: aliquando me corrigeas, si uis, dice mihi in filum ubi textus est, aut per "pm", quia non est omni die cum aperio hoc filum :oops:

(legam, hoc, tum, quid scripsisti ...)

Quasus dixit:
paruos dixit:
somnium meum ministráre laboratorium Latíni Latínum loquendo, ut Anglici classes habui cum iuuenis eram ... :brickwall:

(sentio me longe esse a tempore cum potero hoc facere.)

et uos, quid putant?
It seems to me that somnium is rather a dream that a day-dream. Cupiō is safe.

ministrare laboratorium :?

Latinum loquendo -> Latīnē loquēns
Anglici classes -> Anglicās scholās
cum iuuenis eram -> cum juvenis essem
quid putant -> quid putātis, quid arbitrāminī