The Iliad in Performance

gedwimere

I am curious what you think about this.
It is of course not a historical reconstruction, but I like the lack of monotony and the expressiveness with which he sings the anger of Achilles.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

It's nice to see that Leatherface can do something other than mutilating people with a chainsaw, even if it's only mutilating a work of art.

Hawkwood

• Civis

Here's a different performer. I first heard professor Lombardo's perfomance of Homer's poems on a C-span program with Christopher Hitchens. I've linked both the discussion and a full performance, just in case anyone's interested.

gedwimere

I see, [USER]Pacifica[/USER]. Maybe I'm too tolerant towards unconventional musical interpretations. And could you (if you bear, despite its overexpressiveness, listening to the performance for a bit more) or someone else comment on the pronunciation? From what little I know, it seems that it's not too bad, and the accents are mostly where they should be.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I know little about Greek pronunciation, so I can't comment on that.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

I can barely hear the pronunciation over the music. As I'm an uncircumcised philistine, I divide music into three basic groups: 1) music I enjoy listening to; 2) music I don't mind, often suitable in the background; 3) please make it stop. This seems to fall into the third group.

The Kenosha Kid

From what little I know, it seems that it's not too bad, and the accents are mostly where they should be
Yeah, you're right, it's really not that bad on both accounts. Although he doesn't seem to distinguish between the acute and circumflex (whether or not we properly understand the value of the latter in bi- and trimoraic syllables), that is nothing to wonder at.