The nature of learning.

MrGrizz79

(NB. I am trying to follow the "guidelines" post from 2011 - I apologise if I slip up or make a mess of things, this is my first post.)

"The nature of learning."
This phrase is the motto of the school my children attend; I also sit on the Governing Council for said school. Unlike when I went to school, this school (and many others in the area) doesn't have the motto in Latin. The principal and I have discussed this and we want to obtain a Latin version, but to do it through the "proper" channels requires a lengthy process that I won't go into here. It was decided that I would venture out into the wilderness of the web and attempt to obtain a translation for what we are deeming, "personal use", rather than "official". Basically, what it boils down to is, we would like to have a Latin version to display at the school, but not on any official material or website.

I initially attempted the ill-fated Google Translate.. yeah... no.. simply putting the full-stop at the end of the phrase changed the entire translation.. *sigh* I went to university, I should know better! I then attempted to contact an accredited Latin teacher at another school (in a different state), but the school has not returned my emails. This led me to a final 2 choices: waste a tutors' time (at personal expense) for a single translation with no inclination to continue tutelage, or, reach out to communities such as yourselves for assistance.

And, so, here I am.. asking for help.. and fighting the urge to say, "won't somebody think of the children?!"(*insert laughing emoji here*)

Thank-you in advance.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Hello,

What would you say is meant by "learning" here:

1) the act/process of learning

or

2) the fact of being learned, erudition

?

MrGrizz79

Greetings.

I would say that it is the act/process of learning..
..also, I just thought of something, would "nature" be translated differently if it pertained to nature as in the physical world of plants and animals versus the properties of something?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Addiscendi
Or just discendi.
..also, I just thought of something, would "nature" be translated differently if it pertained to nature as in the physical world of plants and animals versus the properties of something?
Natura can mean the properties of something, the general "force" of life in things, or the world in general, but not really just plants and animals/wildlife.

MrGrizz79

So if I went with either addiscendi natura or discendi natura I should be ok? (I am leaning toward discendi natura personally)

I present this to the Governing Council next week during our AGM.