The queen loves the great forest et cetera

KarlaUK

Another exercise but this time Latin to English.
Please will anyone help check my translations from basic textbook Latin into English to assist my self-learning.
Exercises are from W Gardner Hale's First Latin Book. A short comment on these whether wrong or right would be much appreciated.

This has been done without reference to a similar exercise earlier.

Section 270 (2nd Ed.) (An Adventure of the Small Boys)

1. (Julius's father says at lunch) Videō vōs, fīliī meī, hodīe nōn valēre. Dēfessī iam esse vidēminī. His hōrīs nimis impigrē forte studuistis. Multum in scholā labōrāvistis? (Julius) Herī tabernāculum, quod tū nobis dederās, in locō idōneō in silvā prope scholam statuimus. Eō hodiē bene māne vēnimus. Quattuor condiscipulī, ā nōbis invītātī, ad eundem locum vēnerant. Putābāmus nōs ibi nōn diū futūrōs esse.

I see you are not well, today, my sons. You seem to be exhausted already. Perhaps you have studied too enthusiastically during these hours. Have you worked much in school? Yesterday, we set up the tent, (that) you had given to us, in a suitable place in the woods near the school. We came there in the early morning. Four schoolmates, invited by us, came to the same place. We thought we would not be there long (for a long time).

2. Mox autem ūnus ex discipulis, “Quid,” inquit, “si silvam ūnam hōram explōrābimus?” Cūnctī dīxērunt sē probāre. At mox longē prōcesserāmus. Eum locum ubi tum erāmus numquam anteā vīderāmus. Magnopere timēbāmus. Dēnique agricolam vidimus, qui tum forte agrum propter silvam colēbat. Is nōs dē viā docuit. At longum nunc spatium ā scholā aberāmus. Propter hoc iam dēfessī erāmus, cum magister nōs in scholam vocāvit.

However one of the students said "What, if we explore the wood for (one) an hour?" All (of them) said they approved. But soon we had gone (proceeded) far. This place, where we were (at) then, we had never seen before. We were greatly afraid (much frightened). Finally, we saw a farmer, who was tilling his field beside the wood at that time. He informed us about the road. But we were now a long way (stretch) away (absent) from school. On account of this we were already tired out, when the teacher called us into school.

B

Bitmap

1. (Julius's father says at lunch) Videō vōs, fīliī meī, hodīe nōn valēre. Dēfessī iam esse vidēminī. His hōrīs nimis impigrē forte studuistis. Multum in scholā labōrāvistis? (Julius) Herī tabernāculum, quod tū nobis dederās, in locō idōneō in silvā prope scholam statuimus. Eō hodiē bene māne vēnimus. Quattuor condiscipulī, ā nōbis invītātī, ad eundem locum vēnerant. Putābāmus nōs ibi nōn diū futūrōs esse.

I see you are not well, today, my sons. You seem to be exhausted already. Perhaps you have studied too enthusiastically during these hours. Have you worked much in school? Yesterday, we set up the tent, (that) you had given to us, in a suitable place in the woods near the school. We came there in the early morning. Four schoolmates, invited by us, came to the same place. We thought we would not be there long (for a long time).
You forgot one word and the tense is wrong for the translation of venerant. The rest is good.

2. Mox autem ūnus ex discipulis, “Quid,” inquit, “si silvam ūnam hōram explōrābimus?” Cūnctī dīxērunt sē probāre. At mox longē prōcesserāmus. Eum locum ubi tum erāmus numquam anteā vīderāmus. Magnopere timēbāmus. Dēnique agricolam vidimus, qui tum forte agrum propter silvam colēbat. Is nōs dē viā docuit. At longum nunc spatium ā scholā aberāmus. Propter hoc iam dēfessī erāmus, cum magister nōs in scholam vocāvit.

However one of the students said "What, if we explore the wood for (one) an hour?" All (of them) said they approved. But soon we had gone (proceeded) far. This place, where we were (at) then, we had never seen before. We were greatly afraid (much frightened). Finally, we saw a farmer, who was tilling his field beside the wood at that time. He informed us about the road. But we were now a long way (stretch) away (absent) from school. On account of this we were already tired out, when the teacher called us into school.
You can inject "by chance" to have the forte translated as well, but other than that, it's completely right. Very good!

KarlaUK

Thanks @Bitmap
You forgot one word and the tense is wrong for the translation of venerant. The rest is good.
hodiē bene māne vēnimus. Quattuor condiscipulī, ā nōbis invītātī, ad eundem locum vēnerant. Putābāmus nōs ibi nōn diū futūrōs esse.
We came there in the early morning, today. Four schoolmates, invited by us, had come to the same place.

You can inject "by chance" to have the forte translated as well, but other than that, it's completely right. Very good!
Dēnique agricolam vidimus, qui tum forte agrum propter silvam colēbat.
Finally, we saw a farmer, who, by chance, was tilling his field beside the wood at that time.

KarlaUK

Please will anyone help check my translations in to basic Latin to assist my self-learning.
Exercises are from W Gardner Hale's First Latin Book. I have underlined those words where I am unsure on the appropriate word order. A comment on these whether wrong or right would be much appreciated as would highlighting any macron errors.

Section 271 (2nd Ed.)
1. Finally the teacher said to me: "Are you already tired out at this hour? I see that you are not well.
Dēnique mihi magister dixit: "Esne eā hōrāne iam dēfessus? Videō tē nōn valēre.

2. Where had you been, Julius, when I called you?”
Ubi Iūlī, fuerās, cum tē vocāvī?"

3. (Julius) I had walked in the woods. (Master) Had you walked much? (Ans.)
In silvā ambulāveram. Multumne ambulāverās?

4. I had gone a long distance. I saw that I had gone too far.
Longum spātium processeram. Vidī nimis longum procēdere. (or perhaps Vidī nimis procēdere.)

5. A farmer who was cultivating a field beside the wood told me about the way. It was (a) long (one).
Agricola, qui agrum propter silvam colēbat, mē eā dē viā docuit. (Eam) longam erat.

6. (Master) Had you walked with others? Why don't you answer?
Ambulāverāsne cum aliīs? (or Cum aliīsne ambulāverās) Cur nōn respondēs?

7. (One of the four) We had all four walked in the woods.
Cūnctī quattor in silvā ambulāverāmus.

8 . (Master) I am not going-to-chide you, but this I will say:
Nōn vōs monitūrus sum, sed haec dīcam:

9. It pleases me when you walk in the woods; it does not please me, however, when you walk there before the school hour.
Cum ambulāvistis mihi placet; mihi nōn placet, cum autem ante hora scholae nōn placet.

B

Bitmap

1. Finally the teacher said to me: "Are you already tired out at this hour? I see that you are not well.
One -ne is enough ;)

That's right.

That's also right.

Longum spātium processeram. Vidī nimis longum procēdere. (or perhaps Vidī nimis procēdere.)
I think your sentence sort of works grammatically, but it doesn't sound very idiomatic. It would seem more natural in the ablative, but it would probably be even better just to say longe.

5. A farmer who was cultivating a field beside the wood told me about the way. It was (a) long (one).
Agricola, qui agrum propter silvam colēbat, mē eā dē viā docuit. (Eam) longam erat.
The second sentence should be in the nominative.
To clarify what Pacifica meant when she corrected the last sentence that was similar to this one: She wants an ea in the subsequent sentence to refer to via. The demonstrative in the first sentence is not needed: ... me de via docuit. ea longa erat.

Good job.

Very good!

9. It pleases me when you walk in the woods; it does not please me, however, when you walk there before the school hour.
Cum ambulāvistis mihi placet; mihi nōn placet, cum autem ante hora scholae nōn placet.
when you walk - tense
in the woods - not translated
ante + case
the cum clause should really have a verb in my opinion.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

*hac hora

You've got one too many -ne.

The rest is good.
Good.
Good.
Nimis alone would work, or, alternatively, longius (alone as well). I can't say that nimis longum is grammatically wrong, but it doesn't sound optimal to me.

The subject of the accusative-and-infinitive clause is missing, and the infinitive is in the wrong tense.
Ea doesn't belong in me ea de via docuit.

Eam longam is in the wrong case (but it's a good idea to include the demonstrative here).
Good.
Cum aliisne seems more fitting.
Check the spelling of the second word.
Good.
Ambulavistis is in the wrong tense.

Mihi non placet doesn't belong. Had you meant to delete that part or change the sentence in another way?

Ante takes the accusative.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

the cum clause should really have a verb in my opinion.
When the same verb would be repeated from shortly before, it's frequently left implied instead. Not that it would be grammatically wrong to actually include it. It's more of a stylistic choice.

B

Bitmap

When the same verb would be repeated from shortly before, it's frequently left implied instead. Not that it would be grammatically wrong to actually include it. It's more of a stylistic choice.
It makes sense to me when it is a parallelism:
cum post horam scholae ambulatis, mihi placet; cum ante horam, non placet.

I find it weird when the first sentence relies on an adverbial of place and then the antithesis in the 2nd relies on an adverbial of time.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I see. I still think it's acceptable, but at the end of the day, maybe a stylist at their best would actually neither repeat the verb nor make an ellipsis, but say something like mihi placet cum in silva ambulatis; cum autem ante scholae horam id facitis, non placet.

KarlaUK

Thanks @Bitmap & @Pacifica
Corrections below.

Dēnique mihi magister dixit: "Esne hāc hōrā iam dēfessus? Videō tē nōn valēre.

processisse

Longum spātium processeram. Vidī mē nimis processisse.

Agricola, qui agrum propter silvam colēbat, mē dē viā docuit. Ea longa erat.

Cūnctī quattuor in silvā ambulāverāmus.

Cum ambulātis in silvā mihi placet; , cum autem ante hora scholae nōn placet.
I thought ante was an adverb, here, but it modifies hora.
Cum ambulātis in silvā mihi placet; autem cum ubi ante horam scholae ambulātis nōn placet.

mihi placet cum in silva ambulatis; cum autem ante scholae horam id facitis, non placet.
Does this mean It please me when you walk in the woods; when, however, you do it before school hours, it does not (please me)?

B

Bitmap

Cum ambulātis in silvā mihi placet; autem cum ubi ante horam scholae ambulātis nōn placet.
I think you wanted to write cum autem ibi ...

mihi placet cum in silva ambulatis; cum autem ante scholae horam id facitis, non placet.
Does this mean It please me when you walk in the woods; when, however, you do it before school hours, it does not (please me)?
Yes.