The queen loves the great forest et cetera

KarlaUK

My first thought was politically incorrect and should only be posted in the appropriate games thread as a last resort. I'll take my chances with the Bitmap's battle axe.
You do know that a 'battle axe' is also the name for a good, strong, Northern wife, don't you.
'A strong-willed, argumentative woman, typically older in age, who is considered overbearing or domineering.'
ALA 'Andy Capp'.

KarlaUK

1. Mārcus nūper bene labōrābat. Fāma illīus discipulī magna erat. Illum et magister et tōta schola laudābant. Nunc ita nōn est. Nōnnūlliī illum etiam culpant.

Marcus was working well, recently. The reputation of the pupil was great. Both the teacher and the whole school were praising him. Now it isn't so. Several also reproach him.
I would translate etiam as "even" in the context. Not only do the teacher and the whole school no longer praise him, but some even reproach him.
It does sound better that ways. Tucking another meaning for etiam under my belt. I was so pleased to remember what it meant also without having to look it up.

2. (The teacher) Nūper, Mārcē, bene labōrābās, studiumque tuum tōta schola laudābat. Nunc impegrē nōn labōras. (Ans) Ita est. Validus tum eram. Nunc aeger sum; itaque aegrē labōrō. Tū ipse, mihi favē, mēque iuvā.

Marcus, recently, you were working well, and your enthusiasm the whole school was praising. Now, you don't work energetically. It's so. (It's true) I was strong, then. Now, I am ill; and I also work with difficulty. You (Teacher), favour me, and help me, yourself.
Itaque = "and so", "therefore"
Noted.

3. Nūper, amīcī meī, ōtium laudabātis, ōtiō studēbātis. Nunc, bellum sōlum laudātis. (Ans) Tum nūllum timēbāmus perīculum. Nunc Germānōs timēmus. (First speaker) Istud ōtium tum nōn probābam. Nunc istī studiō novō nōn faveō; nam ego (or ego enim) perīculum ā Germānīs timeō nūllum.

Recently, my friends, you were recommending peace, were eager for peace. Now, you only recommend war. (Ans) At that time, we were fearing no peril. Now, we are afraid of the Germans. (First speaker) I was notcommending that peace, then. Now, I do not favour this new desire of yours; for I fear no danger from the Germans.
I would translate laudo as something more like "praise".

I was commending that peace, then
You forgot non.
But not the Germans...

Recently, my friends, you were praising peace, were eager for peace. Now, you only praise war. (Ans) At that time, we were fearing no peril. Now, we are afraid of the Germans. (First speaker) I was not praising that peace, then. Now, I do not favour this new desire of yours; for I fear no danger from the Germans.

Last edited:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

"Approve" would actually be a better translation for probo. For the rest, good.

KarlaUK

Please will anyone help check my translations into basic Latin to assist my self-learning.
Exercises are from W Gardner Hale's First Latin Book. I have underlined those words where I am unsure on the appropriate word order or conjugation. A comment on these whether wrong or right would be much appreciated as would highlighting any macron errors.

Section 151

1. Recently, friends, you were favouring peace. Why are you now favouring war?
Nūper, amīcī, ōtiō favēbātis. Cūr nunc favētis bellum?

2.(Ans) At that time we feared no danger. Now we are expecting war from the Germans themselves.
Tum, nūllum perīculum timēbāmus. Nunc, Germānīs bellum exspectamus.

3. That war was just: this new war (of yours) is not just.
Illum bellum iūstum erat: istud bellum novum nōn iūstem est.

4. I approved that (was approving): I do not approve this.
Illud probābam: hic nōn prōbō.

5. Some (people) never favour war.
Nōnūllus numquam bellō favent.

6. My son, I do not favour this friend (of yours).
Estī amīcō, fīlī mī, nōn faveō.

7. His reputation is not good.
Fāma illīus nōn bonus est.

8. He is strong but works badly.
Validus est sed male labōrat.

9. Warn and help this friend (of yours), for he is not working well now.
Istum amīcum monē iuvāque, illī nunc bene nōn labōrat.

10. (Ans) He is ill, and is working with difficulty.
Aeger est, et aegrē labōrat.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

You correctly put otio in the dative. Bellum should go into that case, too.
2.(Ans) At that time we feared no danger. Now we are expecting war from the Germans themselves.
You're missing words for "from" and "themselves".
Illum is masculine accusative.

I guess iustem is a typo?
Hic is both in the wrong case and in the wrong gender.

The first o of probo is short.
Nonnullus is in the wrong number, and missing an n.
The first letter of the first word is wrong. :p (Some mix up with Spanish...?)
Bonus doesn't agree in gender with fama.

Also, this is less serious but given the previous sentence I would have said eius rather than illius.
You're missing a word for "for", and illi doesn't make sense there. (Did you get confused between "for he does so and so" and "for him"?)

Last edited:

KarlaUK

You correctly put otio in the dative. Bellum should go into that case, too.
Nūper, amīcī, ōtiō favēbātis. Cūr nunc favētis bellō?
You're missing words for "from" and "themselves".
'Twas Bitmap's battle-axe, again.:swords:I was scared.
Nunc, ā Germānīs ipsīs bellum exspectamus.
Illum is masculine accusative.
I guess iustem is a typo?
Illud bellum iūstum erat: istud bellum novum nōn iūstum est.
Hic is both in the wrong case and in the wrong gender.
The first o of probo is short.
Illud probābam: hoc (N, A) nōn probō.
Nonnullus is in the wrong number, and missing an n.
Nōnnūllī numquam bellō favent. When can it mean some in the singular? Would that be as in the case of some part of a whole?
The first letter of the first word is wrong. :p (Some mix up with Spanish...?)
I have no excuse except incompetence, Mi Amigo, :boohoo:
Istī amīcō, fīlī mī, nōn faveō.
Bonus doesn't agree in gender with fama.
Also, this is less serious but given the previous sentence I would have said eius rather than illius.
Bonus, I made it agree with his instead, my bad.
Only ille and iste this chapter; is, ea, id, next chapter.
Within this current chapter, Hale writes "The determinative pronouns may be used in all cases as Personal Pronouns of the Third Person. Thus, ille, he, illa, she, illad, it; illius donum (the gift of him), his gift, illī, to him, etc."
I understand that there is a bit of less usual usage here but Wikipedia states"As Latin had no person pronouns specifically meaning "he", "she" or "it", any of ille, iste, hic or (most frequently) is could assume that function."
I also find, more for me later rather than now, that there are pejorative uses for iste and similar nuances relating to fame/notoriety for ille.
Perhaps I should have offered up Fāma istius nōn bona est under the circumstances? Fāma illīus nōn bona est. Fāma eius nōn bona est.
You're missing a word for "for", and illi doesn't make sense there. (Did you get confused between "for he does so and so" and "for him"?)
Perhaps, yes. I didn't spot the book showing the common way of saying for he = Ille enim, as it was stuck in a small, blurry footnote. A google search confirmed this as common. I see this IS a usage of Ille for he (c.f. 7.)
I am quite chuffed the first part of the sentence passes as an adequate translation.
Istum amīcum monē iuvāque, ille enim nunc bene nōn labōrat.

Last edited:
B

Bitmap

Your corrections are right.

When can it mean some in the singular? Would that be as in the case of some part of a whole?
Mainly when it is used as an adjective: nonnullum periculum = "(quite) some danger", nonnulla pars = "some part" ... but when it works as a noun meaning "some people", it's usually plural, just like "some people" is plural. I think you also find it in the singular, but then it's usually non nemo.

Only ille and iste this chapter; is, ea, id, next chapter.
I wouldn't worry about that too much as it feels rather advanced at this stage. Pacifica wrote a long article on pronouns in her forum, but I would get an overview over all pronouns before proceding there. Simply speaking, ille is rather emphatic while is is more neutral, so if the person has already been mentioned, you don't always want to point to them emphatically.

I also find, more for me later rather than now, that there are pejorative uses for iste and similar nuances relating to fame/notoriety for ille.
Yes, that's right.

Perhaps, yes. I didn't spot the book showing the common way of saying for he = Ille enim, as it was stuck in a small, blurry footnote. A google search confirmed this as common. I see this IS a usage of Ille for he (c.f. 7.)
I am quite chuffed the first part of the sentence passes as an adequate translation.
Istum amīcum monē iuvāque, ille enim nunc bene nōn labōrat.
Here, too, you don't explicitly need a demonstrative pronoun in the second part (though it is not wrong grammatically), so you can just leave out the ille and write something like non enim nunc bene laborat.

KarlaUK

@Bitmap, Thank you, these are clear and informative.
...ille enim nunc bene nōn labōrat.
Here, too, you don't explicitly need a demonstrative pronoun in the second part (though it is not wrong grammatically), so you can just leave out the ille and write something like non enim nunc bene laborat.
A practice point for the construction ille enim, I guess. :) as I found info on it and had got it wrong initially. Nothing wasted. Thanks for the example. Common word orders are tricky for me due to lack of experience. Every little example helps.

KarlaUK

@Pacifica & @Bitmap.
A heartfelt thank you for all your work helping me. It is paying divided as I am able to read most of these simple sentences from beginning to end in a linear fashion without getting hung up on the meaning of words or tenses. Rarely do I have to parse. Even then, I try to put down most of the options word by word.
I am grateful.

KarlaUK

Another exercise but this time Latin to English.
Please will anyone help check my translations from basic textbook Latin into English to assist my self-learning.
Exercises are from W Gardner Hale's First Latin Book. A short comment on these whether wrong or right would be much appreciated.

Section 155

1. (A schoolmate of Cornelius, to his father) Cornēlius nūper male labōrābat, eiusque fāma mala erat. Īs ā magistō et ā condiscipulīs nōnnūllīs culpābātur. Nunc cūntī eī puerō favent, cūnctī eum probant: nunc enim labōrat. (The father) Sī ita est. Id mihi magnopere placet.

(Lit - sentence 3) Now, to all, the whole (S) all, everybody (P) this the boy they favour: all All approve him.
(Trans) Cornelius recently was working badly, and his reputation was bad. He was being blamed by his teacher and several of his schoolmates. Now, everybody favours this boy, all approve him to all: for now he works. If it is so. It/this pleases me greatly.

2. Anteā, mī fīlī, ā magistrō saepe monēbāris; nunc ab eō laudāris. (Ans) Ita est. Anteā ōtium amābam, et saepe culpābar. Sed illa fāma mihi nōn placēbat. Itaque nunc cum studiō labōrō. (The father) Ista nova diligentia mihi placet.

Before this, my son, you were often being warned by your teacher; now you are being praised by him. It is so. Formerly, I was loving leisure, and was often being blamed. But that reputation didn't please me. And also now I work with zeal. This new diligence of yours is pleasing to me.

3. Filiī Fīliī meī anteā ā magistrō culpābantur. Nunc laudantur.
Before that (practice - no context), My sons were being blamed by the teacher. Now they are being praised.

4. Anteā, fīlīi fīliī meī, ā magistrō saepe culpābāminī. (Ans) Ita est. Anteā culpābāmur. Sed nunc laudāmur. Laudārī magis amāmus.

Before this, my sons, you were often being blamed by the teacher. It is thus. Formerly, we were being blamed. But now we are being praised. We like to be praised more (than being blamed).
Edited for typos

Last edited:
B

Bitmap

1. (A schoolmate of Cornelius, to his father) Cornēlius nūper male labōrābat, eiusque fāma mala erat. Īs ā magistō et ā condiscipulīs nōnnūllīs culpābātur. Nunc cūntī eī puerō favent, cūnctī eum probant: nunc enim labōrat. (The father) Sī ita est. Id mihi magnopere placet.

(Lit - sentence 3) Now, to all, the whole (S) all, everbody (P) this the boy they favour: all All approve him.
(Trans) Cornelius recently was working badly, and his reputation was bad. He was being blamed by his teacher and several of his schoolmates. Now, everybody favours this boy, all approve him to all: for now he works. If it is so. It/this pleases me greatly.
I don't fully understand where you take the "to all" from. It should just be "all approve of him". The rest is right.

2. Anteā, mī fīlī, ā magistrō saepe monēbāris; nunc ab eō laudāris. (Ans) Ita est. Anteā ōtium amābam, et saepe culpābar. Sed illa fāma mihi nōn placēbat. Itaque nunc cum studiō labōrō. (The father) Ista nova diligentia mihi placet.

Before this, my son, you were often being warned by your teacher; now you are being praised by him. It is so. Formerly, I was loving leisure, and was often being blamed. But that reputation didn't please me. And also now I work with zeal. This new diligence of yours is pleasing to me.
itaque = "and so; therefore"

3. Filiī meī anteā ā magistrō culpābantur. Nunc laudantur.
Before that (practice - no context), My sons were being blamed by the teacher. Now they are being praised.
That's right. You can also just translate antea with "in the past", or "formerly" as you did above. (same in 4.)

The rest is right.

KarlaUK

Please will anyone help check my translations into basic Latin to assist my self-learning.
Exercises are from W Gardner Hale's First Latin Book. I have underlined those words where I am unsure on the appropriate word order or conjugation. A comment on these whether wrong or right would be much appreciated as would highlighting any macron errors.
Section 156

1. Recently, Cornelius was being blamed.
Nūper, Cornelius culpābātur.

2. Now, all his schoolmates approve him, all are praising his new diligence. (Use cūnctī, all, in proper case)
Nunc, cūnctī consdiscipulōrum eum probant, cūnctī eius novam dīligentiam laudant.

3. Formerly, my friends, you were being praised by everybody.
Anteā, amīcī meī, ā cūnctīs laudābāminī.

4. Now you are (being) warned by many.
Nunc ā multīs monēminī.

5. This does not please me greatly.
Id mihi nōn magnopere favet.

6. (Ans) Then we were not sick, now we are.
Nōn aegrī erāmus tum, nunc summus.

7. Recently no dangers were feared.
Nūper nūlla pericula timēbantur.

8. Now danger is feared from the Germans: for they are strong, and eager for war.
Nunc periculum ā Germānīs timētur: nam validī sunt, et bellō student.

9. Recently, my friend, you were (being) censured.
Nūper, amīce mī, monēbāris.

10. If some (people) are now praising you, I am glad.
Sī nōnnūllī nunc tē laudant, laeta sum.

B

Bitmap

1. Recently, Cornelius was being blamed.
Nūper, Cornelius culpābātur.
Long e in Cornelius.

2. Now, all his schoolmates approve him, all are praising his new diligence. (Use cūnctī, all, in proper case)
Nunc, cūnctī consdiscipulōrum eum probant, cūnctī eius novam dīligentiam laudant.
"all schoolmates" needs to be in the nominative.

5. This does not please me greatly.
Id mihi nōn magnopere favet.
Wrong verb for "to please".

6. (Ans) Then we were not sick, now we are.
Nōn aegrī erāmus tum, nunc summus.
Only one m in sumus.

7. Recently no dangers were feared.
Nūper nūlla pericula timēbantur.
Long i in pericula.

(same in 8)