Inspirational The sadness will last forever

Gael12

heii, so i just wanted to make a translation for my tatoo.
"The sadness will last forever"
well, since i used french as the medium language when learning latin, i had to translate the above phrase into french first and i ended up with 3 phrases:
1."Maesor in saeculum"
2."tristitsia est aeterna"
3."in tristitsia erit in perpetuum"

so the problem is, my idea was to have a more common word like "dolor" to be used for the sadness" but in latin this would be masculine and in french the word is feminine.
So i finally settled up with " dolor sit aeternum"
just wanted to make sure i got it right from experts rather than having a *** phrase on my body... Thanks for helping

Sent from my SM-A705MN using Tapatalk

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Hello,

None of those Latin phrases are an exact translation of "sadness will last forever", though some come close.
1."Maesor in saeculum"
This isn't correct. Maesor isn't a word. Maybe you meant maeror, in which case it could translate to "sadness forever" but I'm not fond of the phrasing.
2."tristitsia est aeterna"
The first word is misspelled. Tristitia est aeterna means "sadness is eternal".
3."in tristitsia erit in perpetuum"
Tristitia is misspelled here again. If you correct the spelling, it means "he/she will be in sadness forever".
dolor sit aeternum
That means "may pain/sadness be forever"... at stretch; the wording is a little weird.

"The sadness will last forever" = dolor/maeror/tristitia/maestitia in aeternum/perpetuum durabit/manebit.

To give you some options.

Gael12

thanks... i misspelled those words 'cause of the auto-correction but i still got doubt on the use of "dolor" since its kinda masculine

B

Bitmap

thanks... i misspelled those words 'cause of the auto-correction but i still got doubt on the use of "dolor" since its kinda masculine

Does sadness have to be kinda feminine to feel real?

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Of course she does.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I don't understand what the problem is about it being masculine. Why does its grammatical gender matter to you?