There is more to life than just...

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

It looks as if this wants to say "There is more to life than just being alive". But "alive" didn't manage to get Latinised, and what is the word before it?

Attachments

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Are you trying to get a tattoo too? lol

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god...

The word before: vos, ros, sed? I can't see well either... Even from a machine you would expect it to be a form of esse, though, but it doesn't look like one.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Lol. Google translate is definitely very good at gibberish back-translation. Hilarious.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Try putting this into Google Translate: "Illic est magis ut vita quam iustus ens alive"
And yet ens doesn't appear to be what has been tattooed.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I'd thought of ens (logical...) but indeed it doesn't really look like it... Or maybe we don't see well or the guy made a typo... (Edit: no it's definitely not what's written.)

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I think the little word has got to be vos.
Now try putting this into Google: Illic est magis ut vita quam iustus ens vivos
and imagine, if you can, a situation where an inattentive tattooist, working along the arm, somehow manages to tattoo the last syllable of vivos directly after iustus, and for some reason, looking at the wrong line of text maybe, finishes the job by tattooing the last word of the English rather than the Latin. This is the only explanation I can come up with at present, but then how could it have happened without anyone immediately noticing the error in the copying?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

How indeed? I don't know. That seems completely crazy... You would have to be really very, very, very inattentive.

By the way, how do you know the guy didn't notice it? He wouldn't proudly exhibit his tatoo if he had I suppose. Unless he exhibits it to complain. Where did you get the picture from? Were there any comments by the guy himself with it?

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Where did you get the picture from? Were there any comments by the guy himself with it?
A custom search on Google limited to new stuff in the last three months. I didn't see any comments.

This suggests the mystery word is res, but it doesn't look like res:
http://www.chacha.com/question/how-do-you-say-there-is-more-to-life-than-just-being-alive-in-latin

And this is how the same site (i.e. machine) translates "There is more to life than merely staying alive":
'illic est magis ut vita quam mereo subsisto alive'.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

All that is really dangerous.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I think my attempt at a rational explanation for the mixture of English and bad Latin is wasted ingenuity, frankly. Google Translate routinely spews out English mixed in with "Latin", and whatever ended up on this guy's arm is probably just a faithful reflection of what Google came out with at the time it was fed this particular translation request.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

The key is the date. It is from Intertran
Illic est magis ut vita quam iustus res alive
Which translates roughly as, "I wonder how much the laser removal will cost?"
...and how painful it is to remove Intertran stuff (or Google Translate stuff).

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

This thing is still worse than google:

Defend those who cannot defend themselves:
Google: Qui defendere non poterit se defendere.
Intertran: Vallo qui cannot vallo themselves.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall:
Google: Maximam gloriam in nobis non est numquam cadere, sed surgere Omnia cadamus.
Intertran: Nostrum maioribus palma est non in nunquam cado , tamen in ortus panton nos cado.

Family is everything:
Google: Genus est totum.
Intertran: Prosapia est panton.

Victory is made of the ashes of one's enemies:
Google: Victoria pulverem de inimicorum.
Intertran: Victoria est no of cinis cineris of one's hostilis.

To shine like the sun, first burn like the sun:
Google: Fulgebunt sicut sol in primo exardescet sicut sol.
Intertran: Niteo amo sol solis , primoris exuro amo sol solis.

There is always a light in the darkness:
Google: Ibi semper est in tenebris lumen (wow, even if ibi should not be there for the translation to be exact, it's grammatically correct! :thumb-up:)
Intertran: Illic est usquequaque a lux lucis in obscurum.

:D Lol...

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Let's test them the other way around; from Latin to English:

Haec et huius modi quaedam innumerabilia ultrix facinorum impiorum bonorumque praemiatrix aliquotiens operatur Adrastia atque utinam semper quam vocabulo duplici etiam Nemesim appellamus: ius quoddam sublime numinis efficacis, humanarum mentium opinione lunari circulo superpositum, vel ut definiunt alii, substantialis tutela generali potentia partilibus praesidens fatis, quam theologi veteres fingentes Iustitiae filiam ex abdita quadam aeternitate tradunt omnia despectare terrena.

Google:

These and the like, are a countless number of times and the vengeful deeds of the wicked priorities praemiatrix operates Adrastus and would always have a double name Nemesis also call the divine right of a high effective, in the minds of public opinion on the lunar circle, or to define others, the protection of the general power of the substantial partilibus president's fate, Justice and theologians old daughter by devising a hidden eternity write down all earthly things.

Intertran:

This and of this moderate a certain person innumerabilia avenging facinorum impiorum bonorumque praemiatrix some times work Adrastia and if only that were true always how vocabulo multiplication by two as yet Nemesim appellamus : oath and on high numinis effectively humanarum mind opinion moon round superpositum , or when definiunt alii , substance protection to be produced might partilibus praesidens fatis , how theologian of a former time fingentes Justice daughter out of to renounce dining table aeternitate to be borne omnia despicable earthly.

By the way, does anyone know what "panton" is?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Also planto and validus.
Those words exist:

Validus: Physically powerful, robust, strong, etc.
Planto: To propagate from cuttings, etc., strike.

But "panton", I can find it nowhere...

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Attachments

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Well, that's maybe not the best translation (I'm not sure what it would be), but at least it's grammatically correct and makes some sense.

Edit: I was talking about the tatoo. I've just looked at the "brothers into arms" link now.