Things That Dawned on You Belatedly

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Yeah.

Iáson

Cívis Illústris
'Thomas Cook break-up looms as Fosun plots tour operator bid'

When reading this headline, I had some vague idea that Thomas Cook must be some sort of textile company which was changing its production methods or shutting its factories, until I reached 'tour operator'.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
I did; I just didn't comment on it, I think. It's been that way for some time already, no?

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú
Last week while listening to The Beatles it dawned on me that the opening lyrics to Lovely Rita are not: 'Lovely Rita meet her maid' but: Lovely Rita metre maid'. All these years.

I often make these mistakes with lyrics.

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
I think that goes along with my, "When the sun hits your eye like a big piece of pie..."

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
I've heard that one, but in our culture-deprived youth we thought it was "immoral", which is quite plausible if you've just been lamped with a scalding hot steak & kidney.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
This is not something that dawned on me now but something I've just been reminded of by a Facebook post about K-9. It took me a ridiculously long time to realize that K-9 stood for "canine".

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
This is not something that dawned on me now but something I've just been reminded of by a Facebook post about K-9. It took me a ridiculously long time to realize that K-9 stood for "canine".

:) When I heard the word "canine officer" for the first time, I thought "this would lend itself to some ridiculous abbreviation like K9" ... and then I was surprised that it actually said "K-9" on his uniform.

Iáson

Cívis Illústris
I never realised that there are two third declension verbs which both have present form serō: serō, sēvī, satum 'sow' vs. serō, [seruī], sertum 'entwine', with numerous commonly-occurring compounds which are also distinct (īnserō, dēserō...). For some reason I never made the connection between dēserō and sērō, and I assumed that there was only one verb (perhaps because sowing is vaguely similar to entwining/inserting).

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
I knew about the two sero's, but I never made the connection with desero...

Dantius

Homo Sapiens
Staff member
I too knew about the two sero's, but never made the connection with desero.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens
Staff member
"alias" (the English word) is the Latin adverb

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
I've just realized the relationship between paciscor, and therefore English "pact", and pax.