Things That Dawned on You Belatedly

Terry S.

scurra
Staff member
distraught - distracted

Dantius

Homo Sapiens
Staff member
Strongly disagree ... One of the reasons I like reading him is his rather positive self-evaluation :p

The plural of "mother" should be "methren".
brethren is a plural form of brother

Issacus Divus

ᛋᚢᚾᚢ ᚱᛖᛟᚱᛞᚲᚤᚾᛁᚾᚷᚨᛋ
Góðan daginn.

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
To my shame I hadn't noticed, until I read it, that most selfie cameras act like mirrors – that is, they flip the picture. In my defence, I've never taken a selfie in my life, but of course I've seen any number of other people's.

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
No, wait, I had to take one at least once because it was required for some form of identification. So even less of an excuse.

LCF

a.k.a. Lucifer
An interesting question. Why have you never taken a selfie? Is it because you look down upon those who do? Thinking them shallow and superficial or because you think yourself ugly and hate the way you look?

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
I've just noticed the similarity between the French idiom "faire fureur" and the English one "to be all the rage".

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
The name of the Bond villain Rosa Klebb is an allusion to the Russian translation of the phrase 'bread and roses', which was used as a political slogan in the US in the 19th century.

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
If you want to calculate the area of a circle, you essentially pretend that it is a triangle.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
OK, I'm not even going to try to understand.

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
OK, I'm not even going to try to understand.
If you want to find the area of a triangle, you multiply the height of a triangle with its base and, since a triangle is only half a rectangle, you divide it by two.

If you want to find the area of a circle, you essentially pretend that its radius is the height and that its circumference is its base.

This gives you r [the height] * 2πr [the circumference, its base] divided by 2, which is
πr² --- which is the formula for the area of a circle.

R. Seltza

"OK" rotated 90 degrees clockwise kinda looks like a stick man.

Quintilianus

If you want to find the area of a triangle, you multiply the height of a triangle with its base and, since a triangle is only half a rectangle, you divide it by two.

If you want to find the area of a circle, you essentially pretend that its radius is the height and that its circumference is its base.

This gives you r [the height] * 2πr [the circumference, its base] divided by 2, which is

This calls for an introduction to calculus :

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
The son of Forrest Gump is Cole in the Sixth Sense.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
"Veil" is an anagram of "evil". This has just dawned on me as I was reading and came across the word "veil" and, for some unfathomable reason (since it wouldn't have made any sense in the context), I read it as "evil" for a split second.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

This is really cool! I definitely never noticed that.