Things That Dawned on You Belatedly

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
When I was 13, I bought a copy of the compact edition of the OED, and subsequently the one for the supplements. I have consulted the second edition in libraries, and have been using the online version for most of my computerised life. Why have I only just noticed that that they use the digraph for ae?

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus
How would you like a tit for a tat?
lol

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
I've only just now suddenly realized that erigo = ex + rego. :doh:

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
I didn't twig that 'twig' in this sense may come from...um, a Gaelic word that @Terry S. used somewhere, but even if I could remember where it was I wouldn't have the infinitive that I need here. There doesn't seem to be any evidence, but nobody has any better ideas, so it's got as good a chance as any, I'd imagine.

Terry S.

scurra
Staff member
That tagging didn't work for some reason.

The Gaelic verb is 'tuig', 'understand' and is common to Irish and Scottish Gaelic.

Issacus Divus

ᛏᚱᛁᚾᚴᚱ•ᚼᛁᛘᛘᛁᚾᛋ
Cinderella means something like “little ash”, or a little someone who tends to it.

Issacus Divus

ᛏᚱᛁᚾᚴᚱ•ᚼᛁᛘᛘᛁᚾᛋ
Wow.

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
Don't get too excited, Terry just gave you a mercy-like :D

Terry S.

scurra
Staff member
He's just badger-baiting. It's a rural Saxony thing. :D

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
If badger-baiting means making weird jokes, then I knew he was.

Issacus Divus

ᛏᚱᛁᚾᚴᚱ•ᚼᛁᛘᛘᛁᚾᛋ
He's a mischievous melficious badger of sorts.

Terry S.

scurra
Staff member
bereaved - bereft

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
All the vowels match, only the "t" and "b" don't. It still sounds pretty good.

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
To my ear it's ghastly. It reminds me of hippie-style compositions rhyming things like 'humanitiTEE' and 'realiTEE' with monosyllables like 'free', or each other for that matter.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
hippie-style compositions rhyming things like 'humanitiTEE' and 'realiTEE' with monosyllables like 'free', or each other for that matter.
That's Shakespeare-style as well as hippie-style. That kind of thing is pretty common in respected poets' works too.

Issacus Divus

ᛏᚱᛁᚾᚴᚱ•ᚼᛁᛘᛘᛁᚾᛋ
Nothing wrong with rhyming humanity with free.