Things That Dawned on You Belatedly

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú
Good, I need to hear it.

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
And how is "The Wisconsin Purchase" going for you?

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Having been familiar with the Arabic verb أمر, amara, "he commanded", for a few weeks, I only just realized that it must be related to "emir".

Etaoin Shrdlu

μεσσηγυδορποχέστης
And therefore 'admiral'. But you knew that from Milton, where it's spelt more etymologically 'ammiral' or something like that.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
And therefore 'admiral'. But you knew that from Milton, where it's spelt more etymologically 'ammiral' or something like that.
I had forgotten, but now I remember you mentioning it before.

Etaoin Shrdlu

μεσσηγυδορποχέστης
Very much learnt rather than realised, but I didn't know why British medics use bm to refer to blood sugar measurement. The B has nothing to do with blood, but refers to the fact that the strips used to measure the level used to be manufactured by Boehringer Mannheim, a company since taken over by Roche. There appears to be a campaign to use bg (blood glucose) instead, but nobody's listening. I have been told that in Australia bsl (blood sugar level) is used; @Cinefactus can probably confirm or deny this. Everyone else has probably fallen asleep.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Seeing the Arabic word قيظ defined as "heat in summer" just made me realize the etymological relationship between aestus and aestas.