Things That Dawned on You Belatedly

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
ACCUSATION (Lat. accusatio, accusare, to challenge to a causa, a suit or trial at law)
This has just made me realize the etymological relationship of accusare to causa.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú
Oh, wow.

Yeah, I'm just thick-skulled like that.

Another etymological l'esprit de l'escalier of mine was how the Sanskrit euphemism for a big male package (maha lingga) was where the Filipino word for nobility came from (maharlika). And now the president is trying to rename the country into that.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú
?
Lol.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú
So.

And another is how the Yahweh, Jove, and Yawa (devil in Filipino) are so similar. But this is more likely to be coincidental...

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú
Interesting. Yeah, does seem to far-fetched to be cognate, but you know, maybe monotheists are more inclined to name their deities simply so arising the coincidence.

P.S. I just now I searched my username Google and it turns out that the Branch is a podcast by Hadassah about bridging the differences between Jews and Arabs. I personally named myself this because of the beauty of Queen Esther's original name (m. compassion in Hebrew) and 'branch' for the Behold the Branch part in the Isaiah. Thus, branch of compassion.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú
maybe monotheists are more inclined to name their deities simply so arising the coincidence.

Lol, that looks like an insult.

P.S. I just now I searched my username Google and it turns out that the Branch is a podcast by Hadassah about bridging the differences between Jews and Arabs...

I knew what Hadassah meant, but not about that podcast. Guess it's Iove at work?

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú
הדסה שלי, lol. What do you mean?

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú
צחקתי.

Honestly, you're brilliant. You're the first on the site to use that. And, the joke is already set up for you...but it was so good.

Some here are confined to the sphere of the Classical tradition which is normal considering this to be a Latin discussion forum. But the richness of the Abrahamic tradition is near unparalleled, and what a shame for it to be underappreciated in the liberal arts.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú
Amen.

(Yes, Abrahamic tie-in.)

I think the more appropriate substitute here for Amen is Selah. Okay, let's get back on topic so as to not make the others feel awkward. Hahaha!

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú