Through darkness comes light

Martinique

Hi all.

I'm also a tattoo enthusiast looking for an accurate translation for "through darkness comes light"
I have come across the following on the site - ex tenebris venit lux - would the words "from and through" differ at all?

Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Hello,

With "through" instead of "from":

Per tenebras venit lux.

Martinique

Thank you so much
Just a question, on the spelling of "tenebris" - I see you have spelled it with an "a" , assuming I need to change my spelling?

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Yes, after ex you need tenebris, but after per you need tenebras.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
You're welcome!

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Ah, it's already done! You didn't lose time since yesterday...!

Thanks for sharing. :)

Martinique

It was scheduled already but I wasn't 100% comfortable with the exact spelling etc. So i spent about 4 hours searching the web and eventually came across this page - lifesaver!!!
I really didn't want it to be wrong - all my other ink has also been verified by personal friends who speak the said language of each tattoo, but Latin is not exactly an "everyman's" language.

I don't particularly want to have my picture posted on a thread about "Disastrous translations and meanings" :)

Thanks again!!

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member

Martinique

I have my name in Farsi - Persian, both my children's names in Arabic, Chinese symbols for "mother, son, and daughter"
Also have Ninjutsu (martial arts I practice) in kanji
And then a whole bunch of other tattoo's

Trying to decide on another Latin "phrase" for my other arm

Aurifex

Aedilis
Staff member
Those look OK. You were sensible not to try and say anything too ambitious; such attempts often turn out badly.