Tibine ea quibus opus est invenisti

fugit_tempus

A sentence to decipher:
Tibine ea quibus opus est invenisti?

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

This...is an illogical sentence as far as I can see. Context would help.

Andy

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Oh, thank God it's not just me! I thought my Latin didn't suffice to understand the sentence, and now I see that I was right in my first supposition that there was something wrong with it.

I understand this:

To you (+ne which makes it a question) she by/with/from/to whom work is discovered (but the discovered here has no relation with the 'est', since it would be: inventus est - It is discovered.)

Iacobulus

Puzzling, need the context.

"opus est" is an exceedingly common way of saying "there is a need" (to do something), and it takes a dative referent and an infinitive.

However "ea" and "invenisti", as well as the relative make this sentence enigmatic without more context.

fugit_tempus

There is no context for this gem. This is a sentence from Moreland & Fleischer's Latin grammar which I was never able to figure out. I have a whole list of mysetry sentences like this which I will be posting here for our "fun and profit." We can all crack our heads against them, and hopefully one of us will succed in solving the riddle. Maybe there is just something wrong with these sentences. But there are an awful lot of them. So either the authors are very careless with their Latin, or they are skilled at constructing some super-tough sentences.

fugit_tempus

I am thinking a possible translation of "Tibine ea quibus opus est invenisti?" is:

Have you found those which are are necessary to yourself?

fugit_tempus

or in better English:

Have you found those things you need?

Andy

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

But why 'quibus' (dat, abl) then? Doesn't make sense. Should the sentence be as you say, shouldn't it be an accusative form of a relative pronoun?

You found (invenisti) that (ea) which (acc.?) is useful (opus est) to yourself (tibi)?(-ne).

So I don't see how quibus fits.

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Andy dixit:
But why 'quibus' (dat, abl) then? Doesn't make sense. Should the sentence be as you say, shouldn't it be an accusative form of a relative pronoun?

You found (invenisti) that (ea) which (acc.?) is useful (opus est) to yourself (tibi)?(-ne).

So I don't see how quibus fits.
Sententia mea eadem est.

Iblardi

"Opus est mihi" + ablative = "I need" + object (for instance: "Opus est mihi libris" = "I need books")
"Tibine ea quibus opus est invenisti?" = "Have you found (invenisti) the things (ea) that you need (tibi quibus opus est)?"
Another way to say the same thing would be: "Invenisti(ne) ea, quibus tibi opus est?"

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

That's up there on the single most bizarre grammatical things I've ever heard. Literally "there is a labor for me with [noun]"...I genuinely wonder if any Romans ever actually said that.

A

Anonymous

The use of Ablativus after "opus est".

Iblardi' s translation and comment are 100 per cent correct.

"Quibus" is Ablativus Pluralis that follows "opus est".

The latter is a set phrase that is followed by Ablativus.

There is nothing bizarre whatsover about such kind of usage.

Certain verbs and predicative phrases take a certain case in Latin,

it is one of the things that we just have to accept.

Thus, "Have you found what you need / what is of use to you" is the

meaning.

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

Opus est mihi tibi.. I need you?
Not quite, meu amigo. Your tibi should be in the ablative (one of the cases denoting source); assim, opus est mihi te.

There is nothing bizarre whatsoever about such kind of usage.
Well, perhaps to a Roman, but a speaker of Modern English has every right to be puzzled.

QMF, the basic meaning of opus is 'work', but it's easily transferred to mean 'that which has to be done > need'. Consider the German beduerfan 'to need, require' and its Lithuanian cognate dirbti 'work'.
And so opus est 'there is need', and the thing-needed is in the ablative denoting source or origin, like opus est amore 'there is need (having its source in) love'.

Incidentally, Old Spanish retains this construction as huebos mi es.