• guglo, guglare, guglavi, guglatum

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • googlo, googlare ...

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

I saw someone use "gugulando". I believe, this was Bitmap, but I cannot find the reference anymore...

Does it mean the verb would be:
gugulo, gugulare, gugulavi, gugulatum (1st conj)?

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Diaphanus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

The Latin Google has Google as Googl[e-long:28f87j62][/e-long:28f87j62] -[e-long:28f87j62][/e-long:28f87j62]s, as if it were a Greek-derived word:

http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=la

Also:

http://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google

The easiest denominative verb to make is googl[o-long:28f87j62][/o-long:28f87j62] -[a-long:28f87j62][/a-long:28f87j62]re.

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

How many Latin words have a G followed by an L? It doesn't sound very natural to me. That, and "go-og"...

Diaphanus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Nikolaos dixit:
How many Latin words have a G followed by an L? It doesn't sound very natural to me. That, and "go-og"...
Does the g and l have to be medial? You can find examples of the gl combination in Latin, medial or not: iuglans and glacies, etc.

As for go-og, you won't find anything like that, but that is not a problem. You will find oo, as in inchoo.

I think the poll above ought to include the form on the Latin Google site itself. :)

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

Diaphanus dixit:
The Latin Google has Google as Googl[e-long:2j5os12a][/e-long:2j5os12a] -[e-long:2j5os12a][/e-long:2j5os12a]s, as if it were a Greek-derived word:
The wikipedia link is a kind of evidence, but not the Google Latina one, since they keep the company name in English no matter the language of the website. See http://www.google.ru/
I doubt anyone will say that Latin letters are the correct way to spell "google" in Russian :mrgreen:

Diaphanus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Akela dixit:
The wikipedia link is a kind of evidence, but not the Google Latina one
In that case, the Wikipedia link would not be evidence, since the Wikipedia link cites the form from the Google Latina.

Akela dixit:
since they keep the company name in English no matter the language of the website. See http://www.google.ru/
I doubt anyone will say that Latin letters are the correct way to spell "google" in Russian :mrgreen:
I'd be more willing to buy that if the word were an indeclinable Google rather than a Googles that is meaningful as an inflection.

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

I added googlo, googlare to the poll, but this erased previous votes :( Would you, guys, re-vote?

Cicero92

I would advise against go-og orthography. We need the English sound 'oo' which is never rendered in Latin as oo, rather as u (that's the original sound of the letter u, almost never represented in English) Thus, I propose: guglare, or as the noun gugle, -es.

I just want to add that this is the same problem as encountered in Serbian, where the letter u stands for the pronunciation of the English 'oo' and when writing in Serbian, one tends to use "Gugl" as the word for "Google" No problem there for Serbian speakers.

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

I ask because in Croatian we don't allow both a transliteration and a phonetic transcription as was proposed by Vuk Karadžić (and like is still used in Serbian), so it is "Google", even though we pronounce it as "Gugl".

One language, so many ways to use it.

Cicero92

Yes, I am from Serbia, and I know of the Croatian method (I prefer it myself) but I don't think that it is a good method for Latin, as Latin almost always adapted Greek words to sound normal in Latin (the noted examples are, of course, exotic greek y and z sounds as pronounced in Classical Latin, previously unknown to the Romans) But generaly, I trust they would have done something like Gugle, es or Guglo, 1. Hey, why not? Sounds perfectly normal in Latin :)