to live without regret

mark

hi ya

I've been searching for some time now in various places without much luck, but i'm after translating the words "to live without regret". if anybody could help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks mark

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

You could be literal and say "vivere sine paenitentia" however I don't believe this is how Latin would render it. I would like to say vivere with a perfect passive participle, but alas! paeniteo lacks a past participle. So we're left with an ablative absolute with "nihilum" (I elected not to use nihil for clarity, as it is undeclined):
Vivere nihilo paenitente.

This literally means "to live with nothing causing one to be sorry" (I think that's actually the best way to translate that oddly enough)

mark

thank you very much for your help, i have very recently had some help from another site. the best they could could come up with "sine ullo vivere desiderio" but i have some conflict with the word regret or regrets! having also been given the word desiderium. how would this translate? my friend is having these words as a tattoo, so trying to get it as accurate as possible.

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

Desiderio is the ablative of desiderium, which is ambiguous: it can mean "regret", ut it call also mean "desire", "want", "need", or object of desire.

With respect to qmf, I'm not crazy about that ablative absolute. For mottoes and the like I tend to prefer brevity. Suppose we omitted the vivere ("to live") as implied, and went with just

Nulla Paenitentia

or (my favorite so far, I think)

Sine Paenitentia

which just means "without regret"?

Andy

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Perhaps playing on 'nil desperandum' one could come up with 'nil paenitendum'...

Problem is, as QMF says, it has no past participle. I made this one up - following logical assumptions.

WORDS, however, recognizes it... so, if you're not too crazy about being totally faithful to Latin (which I don't advise) you could go with this, pending approval of other members of the Forum.

... or, forsitan, you could use a -tor ending, as in:

Paenitetor, would it be? --> Therefore:

Noli paenitator esse --> Refuse to be someone who regrets.

I don't know about the accuracy of this, -tor endings are not my strength.

mark

thank you for your advice,

ive read what you have all posted and this may probably show up my lack of knowledge when it comes to latin! the words "Sine Paenitentia" has the meaning without regret. but "Sine Vivere" if i have got this right means to live, to mix the two would this be in proper usage of latin. regardless of this "Sine Paenitentia" seems a much easyier way to understand and will probably go with this phrase, so thank you again, much appreciated. mark

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

vivere means "to live"

sine means without.

mark

can anybody help with a translation?

hi, i could really do with some help translating a latin phrase and some english words. the latin phrase is "Amor Viam Inveniet" and the english is "My Lady". both are to help a close friend of mine, so if anybody could help with either of these i would be very gratefull. thanks mark

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Amor viam inveniet means "Love will find a way"

Andy

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

My Lady:

As nobility: Domina mea, lit. My Mistress (fem. of Master).