Translation on circa 1740 sword

alnukem

Hi Folks, thanks for having me. I have been slowly purchasing a fellow's antique weapons collection. In it was this 1740's "small sword", which is what the middle & upper class gentlemen carried to protect themselves from mugging. Akin to people carrying self-defense guns now. Wow, what a world! All I can tell you is it's European, vintage 1740's & would like to know what the inscription says. I usually can muddle through google translate, but it has been elusive this time. It is written in script & has long "s"'s apparently. I have not gotten far with my Pennsylvanian Hillbilly Dialect! Thank you very much for your help.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Hello,

I think I'm actually seeing some French words there, rather than Latin, but I could be dreaming it up as the writing is very hard for me to make out in the photos. Would it be possible for you to take clearer ones, maybe by changing the lighting or something? If not, then maybe someone else will be able to read it, but I can't.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I agree @Pacifica. To me it looks like Je cherche un coeur and then a word I can't read

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Fidèle, I think. I thought I read je and un coeur, too, but couldn't for the life of me make out the verb!

Last edited:

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Now you say it, it does look like fidèle

I seek a faithful heart

Could it be deliberately ambiguous? faithful, I seek a heart?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

The second interpretation seems a little strained, but I guess it isn't theoretically impossible.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Too much Vergil ;)

alnukem

I will try to post up some different photos today. The fellow was under the impression that the corrosion on the blade was actually a purposeful finish, so it sat a long time in that condition. The rest of the engraving depicts a chubby little cupid tinkering with what looks like a lantern, & in the other panel a fox or a wolf.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It is indeed what we thought: "Je cherche un cœur fidèle", which is French for "I seek a faithful heart".

Big Horn

I thought you guys should know what we are working on! Thank You!

Should I give you another one?
I'd like to see another one since I missed that one. Filling the inscrip-tion with powdered chalk or similar would really help. I believe that there are specialty products as well. Gun sellers often use these.

Last edited:

alnukem

I had photos of the other one. I had time to take a look at them & it is German. It is a "hunting sword". These were originally made to "finish" game. They were indigenous to Europe but immigrated to the american Colonies & were used in military roles. George Washington had one. Do you guys want to see that one?????