Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Now, these aren't pleonasms:

the bravest and most distinguished
condemned and expelled

Hawkwood

• Civis

As usual, votes (don't be afraid to vote, it's free and anonymous ;)) and comments welcome.

Quae res ea est? Bona patris huiusce Sex. Rosci, quae sunt sexagiens, quae de viro fortissimo et clarissimo L. Sulla, quem honoris causa nomino, duobus milibus nummum sese dicit emisse adulescens vel potentissimus hoc tempore nostrae civitatis, L. Cornelius Chrysogonus. Is a vobis, iudices, hoc postulat, ut, quoniam in alienam pecuniam tam plenam atque praeclaram nullo iure invaserit, quoniamque ei pecuniae vita Sex. Rosci obstare atque officere videatur, deleatis ex animo suo suspicionem omnem metumque tollatis; sese hoc incolumi non arbitratur huius innocentis patrimonium tam amplum et copiosum posse obtinere, damnato et eiecto sperat se posse, quod adeptus est per scelus, id per luxuriam effundere atque consumere. Hunc sibi ex animo scrupulum, qui se dies noctesque stimulat ac pungit, ut evellatis, postulat, ut ad hanc suam praedam tam nefariam adiutores vos profiteamini.

What is it? The possessions of the father of this same Sex. Roscius, worth 6,000,000 sesterces, which he who is definitely the most powerful young man in our state these days, L. Cornelius Chrysogonus, says he bought from the bravest and most distinguished man L. Sulla, whom I name out of respect, for two thousand sesterces. Since this Chrysogonus, gentlemen, has quite illegitimately laid hands on so full and grand a fortune which belonged to another, and since the life of Sex. Roscius seems to be a hindrance and impediment to his possession of that fortune, Chrysogonus is asking you to put an end to all the mistrust in his heart and to remove all fear from from it: as long as Sex. Roscius is safe and sound, Chrysogonus does not think he can retain possession of the property, so large and copious, of this innocent man; but if the latter is condemned and expelled, he is hoping he can expend and squander through extravagance that which he has acquired through villainy. He is asking you to tear out of his heart this worry which pricks and stings him day and night, so that you should declare yourselves his accomplices in this so foul spoliation perpetrated by him.
Hang on a minute. Chrysogonus is Sulla's righthand man. I've managed to briefly get a feel for the times tonight and I'm inclined to believe that we're either at the end of Sulla's Dictatorship or it's just ended (81 BC).

Strange gamble, I mean we know it paid off but still it seems a suicidal move. Either 'Big Brass Balls' syndrome or he knew something his peers didn't. Mad move.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

I read, a while back, a detective novel based on this same episode (Roman Blood, by Steven Saylor.) I think you'd like it -- it retells the events before and during the trial in a quite gripping manner. Anyway, yes, I agree it was quite a daring move on Cicero's part. But he wanted to make his name, and boy did he ever. :D

Hawkwood

• Civis

I'm just reading that Crysogonus died in 80 BC though it seems not much is known about him after the trial:

"Lucius Cornelius Chrysogonus (died 80 BC) was a Greek freedman of Lucius Cornelius Sulla whom Sulla put in charge of the proscriptions of 82 BC. He purchased the property of the proscribed Sextus Roscius Amerinus, worth 250 talents, for 2,000 denarii. Chrysogonus then accused Roscius's son, Sextus Roscius, of murdering his father.[1] In 80 BC Chrysogonus was in turn accused of corruption by Marcus Tullius Cicero, who was defending Sextus Roscius during his trial. *Very little is known of Chrysogonus after the trial." [citation needed]
WIKI

*Had Sulla's freindship cooled? Or did this trial occur after Sulla had handed the Dictatorship back and was politically distancing himself from the purges thus leaving Chrysogonus open to attack? Judging by wiki, it appears we'll never know.

I find it more than coincidental that he dies shortly after the trial.

Hawkwood

• Civis

I know I'm probably making a big deal out of this but if there was one Roman not to be f### about with, then it had to be Sulla; although a young Caesar was allowed to slip through the purge net so maybe old Sulla had a soft spot somewhere. Still, I wouldn't like to gamble on it.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

I'm just reading that Crysogonus died in 80 BC though it seems not much is known about him after the trial:

"Lucius Cornelius Chrysogonus (died 80 BC) was a Greek freedman of Lucius Cornelius Sulla whom Sulla put in charge of the proscriptions of 82 BC. He purchased the property of the proscribed Sextus Roscius Amerinus, worth 250 talents, for 2,000 denarii. Chrysogonus then accused Roscius's son, Sextus Roscius, of murdering his father.[1] In 80 BC Chrysogonus was in turn accused of corruption by Marcus Tullius Cicero, who was defending Sextus Roscius during his trial. *Very little is known of Chrysogonus after the trial." [citation needed]
WIKI

*Had Sulla's freindship cooled? Or did this trial occur after Sulla had handed the Dictatorship back and was politically distancing himself from the purges thus leaving Chrysogonus open to attack? Judging by wiki, it appears we'll never know.

I find it more than coincidental that he dies shortly after the trial.
Well, even Sulla died shortly after he handed his dictatorship back, but that was just from old age. ;)

Hawkwood

• Civis

Agreed but I don't see how that alters anything. In 82-81 BC Sulla was Stalin on steroids and paranoia was the order of the day. If that wasn't bad enough I find out tonight that Cicero is up against his righthand man. You have to admit that it's a dicey trial to take on by him, Cal.

The trouble is I don't know that much about this Cicero, it's more the Antony stuff, a bit later.

Hawkwood

• Civis

Well, even Sulla died shortly after he handed his dictatorship back, but that was just from old age. ;)
To be fair, you're addressing my final statement where I said: "I find it a bit coincidental..." so I actually agree with you there. I don't even know Chrysogonus' age so I can't really suppose too much, of course, that's not to say his demise isn't connected to the same reasons why Cicero took the trial: As in Sulla giving the nod, maybe.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

To be fair, you're addressing my final statement where I said: "I find it a bit coincidental..."
Yes, that's what I meant. Or he could just have gotten sick, been killed in a street brawl, or something else like that. A lot of people didn't live to a ripe old age in Roman times, after all. ;)

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Now, these aren't pleonasms:

the bravest and most distinguished
condemned and expelled
Not technically. But there should be a term for them, because they're inseparable: the most distinguished hold that position because of their bravery, and expulsion is the result of condemnation. For which reason another writer might have contented themselves with using just one adjective, leaving it to the intelligence of the audience to infer the other, but not our chappie.