trojan horse, the last part.

john abshire

• Patronus

Aut invenietis in isto equo multos milites acres, aut equus est machina belli, facta contra nos, ventura in urbem, visura casas nostras et populum. Aut aliquid latet. Equo ne credite, Troiana: Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes!" Dixit, et potentem hastam magnis viribus manus sinistrae in uterum equi iecit; stetit illa, tremens.

Either you will find many fierce soldiers in that horse, or the horse is a scheme of war having been made against us, about to come into the city, about to see our houses and people. Or everyone is hiding. Don't trust the horse, Trojans: whatever it is, I fear the Greeks and them bearing gifts!" He said and abling he threw a spear by great men left hands in belly of a horse; that (man) stayed (there) trembling.

The first part of this may be ok, but i am sure that the last part is wrong.
I have done what i can; please help. thanks

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Or just "machine".
Check the meaning of aliquid.
I fear the Greeks and them bearing gifts!
Et here means "even".
abling he threw a spear by great men left hands in belly of a horse
Now, that doesn't make any sense, does it?

- What does potentem agree with? Also look it up in a dictionary to see how it might translate.
- You got viribus (abl. pl. of vis) confused with viris (abl. pl. of vir).
- Manus sinistrae isn't nominative plural in this sentence.
- "In" isn't the best preposition to use here.
- "Belly" needs an article.
- "A" is the wrong article to use before "horse". We already know what horse this is.
that (man)
How could illa mean "that man" when it's feminine?

john abshire

• Patronus

Or just "machine".

Check the meaning of aliquid.

Et here means "even".

Now, that doesn't make any sense, does it?

- What does potentem agree with? Also look it up in a dictionary to see how it might translate.
- You got viribus (abl. pl. of vis) confused with viris (abl. pl. of vir).
- Manus sinistrae isn't nominative plural in this sentence.
- "In" isn't the best preposition to use here.
- "Belly" needs an article.
- "A" is the wrong article to use before "horse". We already know what horse this is.

How could illa mean "that man" when it's feminine?
I got back to my original post too late, and could not edit it. Therefore, I copied the entire post, including the needed corrections. These changes are in bold red. Please let me know how I did. Thank you.
Aut invenietis in isto equo multos milites acres, aut equus est machina belli, facta contra nos, ventura in urbem, visura casas nostras et populum. Aut aliquid latet. Equo ne credite, Troiana: Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes!" Dixit, et potentem hastam magnis viribus manus sinistrae in uterum equi iecit; stetit illa, tremens.

Either you will find many fierce soldiers in that horse, or the horse is a machine of war having been made against us, about to come into the city, about to see our houses and people. Or something is hiding. Don't trust the horse, Trojans: whatever it is, I fear the Greeks even bearing gifts!" He said, and he threw a mighty spear with great force of the left hand into the belly of the horse; that (spear) remained (there) trembling.

second edit in bold blue

Last edited:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

about to appear to
That is wrong. What you had before was more correct.
Which gender is aliquid?
he also threw
There is no "also" there.
(with) that (hand) remaining (there) trembling.
Illa doesn't refer to the hand. Technically it could, since it's the same gender and number, but it clearly isn't what makes the most sense in the context. Which other nearby word does illa match in gender and number?

I'm not sure why you want to translate stetit with a participle.

Your other changes are good.

john abshire

• Patronus

That is wrong. What you had before was more correct.

Which gender is aliquid?

There is no "also" there.

Illa doesn't refer to the hand. Technically it could, since it's the same gender and number, but it clearly isn't what makes the most sense in the context. Which other nearby word does illa match in gender and number?

I'm not sure why you want to translate stetit with a participle.

Your other changes are good.
I edited in bold blue

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It's better. But I still don't know why you're turning stetit into a participle.

Gregorius Textor

Animal rationale

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Another option is to use the strike-through tool to preserve a record of what you're deleting or replacing.