truth and transparency

T11hatch

Hi all,

I’m hoping someone can help me by translating “truth and transparency” in to Classical Latin if possible?

It would also be useful to know “trust in radical truth and transparency”, thank you in advance!

R. Seltza

Magnus Oculus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Veritas perspicuitasque works well. Another option which means "Truth and Transparency" is veritas et perspicuitas if you prefer that one.

It would also be useful to know “trust in radical truth and transparency”,
By “trust”, is this in the context of the general act of trusting (“to trust”), do you want to convey the general idea of trusting (as a noun), or is this about commanding someone/people to trust radical truth & transparency?

Also, by “radical”, what are you specifically referring to? Root? Extreme? Fundamental?

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

It's unfortunate that Romans may not have had a word for a figurative meaning of this kind when it comes to the world of politics. "Transparency" itself as a property of light & material is indeed perspicuitās, but when it comes to its figurative meanings, the only one this word has is "the quality of fact of being self-evident" which could be perhaps rendered by one word "obviousness / self-evidency* / evidentness" and it seems it's usually not used as a human property. And if it were used as a human property, one needs to ask themselves: are the figurative meanings the same in a phrase "truth and transparency" vs. "truth and obviousness / self-evidency / evidentness"? Depends what you really mean by it in English...

That being said, I have no alternative in so far...

Last edited:

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

So, since the former doesn't seem to be used as a human property in its figurative meaning which itself probably doesn't mean exactly what we want, I'm thinking what attributes could Romans give a politician that would mean something at least close. I had few ideas so far...

The word sinceritās (not meaning primarily "sincerity"), according to OLD, means also "straightforwardness" and it is used as a human property. If "truth and straightforwardness" would be an acceptable synonym for the OP, you can use "vēritās sinceritāsque"