Two Useful Videos

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

[first minutes of first video]

I wish I were an instigator... And however the reality is that I need instigators to instigate me. (And I have none.)

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

First part of first video is a defence of the reconstructed pronunciation. What are you people's opinion on it?

I used to think we should vary pronunciation according to the text. More and more, as I'm used to reconstructed pronunciation, I don't usually switch anymore to the other... On the other hand, I don't usually read medieval or modern Latin texts. All I've been reading are the classical ones, with which to me there's no sense reading but with the reconstructed pronunciation...

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Phonetics. Importance of making difference of short and long vowels (among other phonems) in pronunciation as something characteristic of Latin. Some sort of quarrel with a guy called Stephanos, Italian fellow who said something about Italian being a good parameter for Latin vowels (better than Sardinian). Why these things are relevant. Things like that. Interesting, enlightening. (And makes me feel completely incompetent, but not in an entirely bad way...)

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Thanks. I wish they had written down at least the important stuff, I don't feel like spending two hours listening. :(

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Thanks. I wish they had written down at least the important stuff, I don't feel like spending two hours listening. :(

I completely understand you. It's not something I do every day. Today I decided not to do anything, and this was one random thing I caught doing without quite paying attention...