Use of IUS/US and IAN

eskeemo

Is discriminating between [name]IUS and [name]IAN a matter of personal taste? For example, Iulius Caesar Augustus also goes both by Octavius when referring to events of such period, and Octavian when referring to events of such and such period.

I am trying to figure out `correct' usages of various names. For example, which one of the following Latinized names of Arthur is absolutely wrong and must never be used?

1. Artorian
2. Arturian
3. Artorius
4. Arturius
5. Arturus
6. Artus

I am a TA and our college students are `Roman aristocrats for a day', choosing praenomen, nomen, and cognomens, and our student, Arthur, chose *Artorian* Commenius Martius, to which I stopped, scratched my head, and said ``no, use `Arturian'", then `Arturius', then `Artorius'. But, the latter two add to too many `ius' sounds! Any recommendations?

Thanks.

E.A.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Here is your answer: read here and here.

eskeemo

Iohannes Aurum dixit:
Here is your answer: read here and here.
Thank you for the timely response. Yes, I read the two articles before I posed the question. I suppose my ultimate question is, are the endings `ian' and `us' interchangable? The student does not want to choose Arturius but Arturian. So, in the end, does it matter? Or, does `ian' mean something specific?

Thanks

E.A.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

In the Historia Brittonum by Nennius, it is Arthur 2nd declension.

eskeemo

Cinefactus dixit:
In the Historia Brittonum by Nennius, it is Arthur 2nd declension.
Thanks, but I do not understand that. Is it possible to take Arthur and morph it to Arturian, in addition to Arturius, the way Octavian and Octavius are?

Thanks.

E.A.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

His name in Latin is Arthur.

If you can find an example in Latin literature of Arthurius/Arthurian please let me know.

Geoffrey of Monmouth is called Galfridus Arthurus Monemutensis, so Arthurus is another possibility.

Imprecator

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Search for Art(h)urus rex on gbooks. Also Adomnan, in his Vita Sancti Columbae, frequently used Arturius.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Searching on the Latin Library I find:

Arthur: Nennius
Arthurus: Henry of Settimello, Bacon, Geoffrey of Monmouth
Arturus: Henry of Settimello, Piccolomini, Adreas Capellanus
Arturius: Adoman
Artorius Juvenal, Nevius, Quintilian - Probably your best choice therefore for a Roman name
Arthurian / Arturian / Artorian: Nil

Imprecator

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

There's arturianus, attested by the medieval Fundus Arturianus in northern Latium.

eskeemo

That's great. Thank you for this and the above replies. I suspect if the student wants to keep Arturian, I will point out that it likely does not exist, and should opt for the others, or trailblaze and just choose whatever. (He does not like three consecutive ius' -- Artorius Commenius Martius, which is why he made up `ian' from Octavian. But, at least I know Artur+ian does not exist).

Thanks

E.A.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Octavian is the English version of the Latin Octavianus.