Vatican recognition: Precibus nobis adhibitis libenti animo

A

Anonymous

Hi,
My father got this recognition from the Vatican. We'll like to know more accurately what it says.
Thanks

BENEDICTVS XVI PONT. MAX.
PRECIBVS NOBIS ADHIBITIS LIBENTI ANIMO CONCEDETES, E QVIBVS TE ACCEPIMVS DE ECCLESIAE REIQVE CATHOLICAE BONO ATQVE INCREMENTO BENE MERITVM ESS, VT PATENS GRATAE VOLVNTATIS TESTIMONIVM PROMAMVS, TE

FERNANDUM PINTO FLORIL

EX URBE

EQVITEM ORDINIS SANCTI SILVESTRI PAPAE ELEGIMVS, FACIMVS AC RENVNTIAMVS, TIBIQVE FACVLTATEN TRIBVIMVS PRIVILEGIIS OMNIBVS VTENDI, QVAE CVM HAC DIGNITATE SVNT CONVNCTA

Chamaeleo

Re: Vatican recognition

You seem to have copied it out incorrectly in a couple of places, which is a slight impediment. Overall, it says that he’s been accepted as a Knight of the Order of St Sylvester, whatever the hell that is. The rest is fluff and padding. Maybe I’ll translate it all later.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Yes, please double-check your transcription of the Latin, as even the tiniest of errors can throw off the translation completely.

PRECIBVS NOBIS ADHIBITIS LIBENTI ANIMO CONCED[IT?], E QVIBVS TE ACCEPIMVS DE ECCLESIAE REIQVE CATHOLICAE BONO ATQVE INCREMENTO BENE MERITVM ESS[E], VT PATENS GRATAE VOLVNTATIS TESTIMONIVM PROMAMVS, TE

FERNANDUM PINTO FLORIL

EX URBE

EQVITEM ORDINIS SANCTI SILVESTRI PAPAE ELEGIMVS, FACIMVS AC RENVNTIAMVS, TIBIQVE FACVLTATE[M] TRIBVIMVS PRIVILEGIIS OMNIBVS VTENDI, QVAE CVM HAC DIGNITATE SVNT CONVNCTA

"Benedict XVI Pontifex Maximus
gladly [with willing spirit] accedes to our proffered requests, from which we have ascertained that you, as regards the well-being and growth of the Catholic Church and the Catholic way of life [Res Catholica], have well merited that we should disclose the open testament of [your] commendable good will; we have selected, [and now] appoint and proclaim, you

Fernando Pinto Floril

from the city [of X]

as Knight of the Order of Pope St. Syvester, and we grant you the faculty to exercise all the privileges which are connected with this honor."

Chamaeleo

Imber Ranae dixit:
from the city [Rome?]
I get the feeling that the Vatican makes some ceremonial distinction between people and rites within the holy city of Rome, and outside. So, I interpreted EX VRBE as ‘outside of Rome’ or ‘non-resident of Rome’. I could be completely wrong.

Chamaeleo

Or maybe the document says "EX VRBE" and then the name of a city penned in, which wasn’t transcribed.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

CHAMÆLEO dixit:
Or maybe the document says "EX VRBE" and then the name of a city penned in, which wasn’t transcribed.
You're probably right, that seems to make the most sense. It's interesting that the name of the city would be penned in but the person's name isn't (and they even Latinized it!)

From what I gather, this fellow is Ecuadorian. So maybe Quito, or Guayaquil? I don't know if those cities even have unique Latin toponyms.

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much for your help and sorry I couldn't log earlier. Yes, I have made some mistakes and here are the corrections:

PRECIBVS NOBIS ADHIBITIS LIBENTI ANIMO CONCEDENTES, E QVIBVS TE ACCEPIMVS DE ECCLESIAE REIQVE CATHOLICAE BONO ATQVE INCREMENTO BENE MERITVM ESS, VT PATENS GRATAE NOSTRAE VOLVNTATIS TESTIMONIVM PROMAMVS, TE

FERNANDUM PINTO FLORIL

EX URBE

EQVITEM ORDINIS SANCTI SILVESTRI PAPAE ELEIGIMVS, FACIMVS AC RENVNTIAMVS, TIBIQVE FACVLTATEM TRIBVIMVS PRIVILEGIIS OMNIBVS VTENDI, QVAE CVM HAC DIGNITATE SVNT CONIVNCTA

Thanks again. And yes, I'm writing from Quito - Ecuador. My father's name is Fernando Pinto Floril, hence we use both last names, so they put the name in latin, I think. I knew it was about the Saint Silvester Order, but we wanted to know if there's in any degree or particular title; or some other important thing it will be likely to know.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Okay, then it should be: "...merited that we should disclose the open testimony of our grateful good-will/favor [toward you]."

While it is a legitimate Latin form, I'm really baffled as to how CONCEDENTES is supposed to fit in with the syntax of that first clause. I've also never seen any Latin word spelt ELEIGIMVS before. It made perfect sense as just elegimus.

And ESS should definitely be ESSE.

fpintoc dixit:
Thanks again. And yes, I'm writing from Quito - Ecuador. My father's name is Fernando Pinto Floril, hence we use both last names, so they put the name in latin, I think. I knew it was about the Saint Silvester Order, but we wanted to know if there's in any degree or particular title; or some other important thing it will be likely to know.
Well, yes. The title granted is that of Knight (Eques).

Chamaeleo

Imber Ranae dixit:
While it is a legitimate Latin form, I'm really baffled as to how CONCEDENTES is supposed to fit in with the syntax of that first clause.
I tried to think of it in terms of royal we for Benedict, but it still didn’t seem to make sense.