Vergil 6:36-39

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

In the second and fourth feet.
That's what my prof said as well; but I had thought that a third-foot feminine caesura seemed far more natural (as there is a break in the sense there as well.)

Incidentally, I just looked it up in Allen & Greenough, and they agree with me (citing this particular line as an example of a feminine caesura.)

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

We're talking at cross purposes, Callaina. I was giving you the strong caseuras. Naturally the main pause in the line is after potuere, and this is a weak or feminine caesura.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

We're talking at cross purposes, Callaina. I was giving you the strong caseuras. Naturally the main pause in the line is after potuere, and this is a weak or feminine caesura.
I wasn't aware that a line could have that many caesuras. :doh:

The context was a quiz question, where he had asked us to scan this and the next line, "marking foot divisions and caesurae". What would you consider the correct answer to that question to be, then? All three caesuras? Or just the second/fourth-foot ones, or just the third-foot one?

(He ended up giving me the quiz point in the end, so this is really just for my own interest.)

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

There are three caesuras in the line, so that question presumably expects all three to be marked.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

There are three caesuras in the line, so that question presumably expects all three to be marked.
Huh. In that case neither of us got it "right". ;)

He's been teaching us to mark either one or two caesuras per line, but never more.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Huh. In that case neither of us got it "right". ;)

He's been teaching us to mark either one or two caesuras per line, but never more.
There's a difference between "strong caesuras" and "weak caesuras" on the one hand, and these and "the main caesura" on the other, as I'm sure you know. It would be helpful if we all strove to distinguish the two at all times, which we don't, and I include myself.

Sometimes, of course, you have several strong caesuras in a line (as well as weak caesuras) and it's impossible to say which caesura is the main caesura, which effectively means that there isn't one.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I'm very happy to have abandoned Latin poetry.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

There's a difference between "strong caesuras" and "weak caesuras" on the one hand, and these and "the main caesura" on the other, as I'm sure you know. It would be helpful if we all strove to distinguish the two at all times, which we don't, and I include myself.

Sometimes, of course, you have several strong caesuras in a line (as well as weak caesuras) and it's impossible to say which caesura is the main caesura, which effectively means that there isn't one.
I think that "the main caesura" was what he was aiming for here, but I'm not entirely sure how to distinguish all of the above (and he certainly hasn't talked about it.)

B

Bitmap

Judging by that link, it looks like there is some argument over your question:

1. The fourth foot has a strong caesura and the third foot only a weak one (although some scholars disagree about this, especially when, as in the example here, there is a strong sense break in the third foot) e.g. :
    Litora / deseru/ere ; la/tet ||sub / classibus / aequor
    -uu/-uu/-u;u/-||-/-uu/-x
Although I'm not sure I agree with all that's said in that link ... my personal approach (although not backed up by any scientific literature, just by my reading experience) would be:

(with examples from the Aeneid's prooemium)
1 - put the caesura in the 3rd foot if it has a strong caesura

urbs antiqua fuit // Tyrii tenuere coloni

2 - put 2 caesurae in the 2nd and 4th foot if the 3rd foot has a weak caesura and the 2nd and 4th have a strong one (which they usually do)

posthabita // coluisse Samo // hic illius arma
(in this line it's rather clear to me that there has to be a caesura after Samo; I can't find any other explanation as to why Samo and hic are not elided)

3 - (that may be a personal preference) put 2 caesurae in the 2nd and 4th foot if the strong caesura in the 3rd is elided:

impulerit. // tantaene animis // caelestibus irae?

4 - put the caesura in the 3rd feet if it has a weak caesura and you cannot put one in both the 2nd and 4th

Can't think of any line from the prooemium here, but it would apply to the example given in the link:
litora deseruere // latet sub classibus aquor

With that in mind, I would scan the lines differently than in the weblink:

1. there is no room for it in the third foot, i.e. when one word runs over the whole of the third foot, e.g.
    clamo/res simul / horren/dos || ad / sidera / tollit. (Vir.Aen.ii.222)
    --/-uu/--/-||-/-uu/-x
I would scan it as

clamores // simul horrendos // ad sidera tollit

(2) see above

1. There is a reasonably strong sense pause in the fourth foot, but not in the third, e.g:
    saevior / intus ha/bet se/dem.|| Tum / Tartarus / ipse.
    -uu/-uu/--/-||-/-uu/-x
I see no problem with

saevior intus habet // sedem tum Tartarus ipse
(although when reading I would also pause after sedem a bit)

Reactions: AoM

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

Thanks for that clarification, Bitmap.

Whenever I took a class where we read Latin poetry, we almost never had to mark the caesurae. As a result, I usually have a hard time pointing them out.

I remember taking a class on Plautus/Terence, and the professor just skipping over the meter entirely. None of us complained when we saw how variable it was.

B

Bitmap

Thanks for that clarification, Bitmap.

Oh by the way, just to make that clear again: What I showed you up there was kind of my personal approach to hexametres that I could not fully back up by literature.

However, I've had another look in my tried and trusted grammar book (Rubenbauer-Hofmann, "RHH"), which has a small excursion into poetry as well, and it kind of supports my view (although not entirely). It says that the main caesura usually follows after the 3rd ictus (penthemimeres). It can also be after the 4th (hephthemimeres), but in that case it is usually accompanied by a secondary caesura after the 2nd (trithemimeres)

That kind of supports my view on scanning the line "saevior intus habet // sedem tum Tartarus ipse" because if it had a caesura after sedem, you would expect one in the 2nd foot as well - however, that would be in the middle of intus. So - in my eyes - it makes more sense to consider the penthemimeres to be the main caesura here.

It also says that a weak caesura after the 3rd foot is rather rare in Latin poetry:
fertur equis auriga // nequ(e) audit currus habenas
(it has to be a weak caesura in the 3rd foot here, because in the 4th foot it would be in the middle of audit)

I think you're better of explaining weak caesuras in different metres, where it's clearer and easier to understand where the caesura belongs ... like the Sapphic verse:

Ille mi par esse // deo videtur (weak)
Ille si fas est // superare divos (strong)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Does that mean you're never going to read Latin poetry again?
No, no, simply reading it is ok. But I'm just not going to bother analysing the meter and caesurae and all that complicated stuff I find no interest in, and I'm certainly not going to write Latin poetry.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

But I'm just not going to bother analysing the meter and caesurae and all that complicated stuff I find no interest in
But it sounds so beautiful with those things...

:bawling:

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

I'm trying to figure out how this line scans:

dixit, et ante tulit gressum camposque nitentis
desuper ostentat; dehinc summa cacumina linquunt.

Are the two syllables of "dehinc" elided because of the "h" in the middle? That's the only way I can see to do it; otherwise, there's one too many syllables. I've never seen elision within a word, but of course that doesn't mean it's impossible...I guess. :doh:

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Ah. Somehow I missed that. Thanks. :)

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

It's known as synizesis.
One interesting example I've noted recently in English is "create", which I now regularly hear people pronounce as one syllable, or else almost one.