vidi vini vici

Frankle

Hi there! I recently saw a friend with "vidi vini vici" tattooed on his arm, however; I always thought it was "veni vidi vici"... Is his tattoo another way of saying it, or does it translate entirely different??
(I asked him what it meant and he say it was "I came, I saw, I conquered...)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Hi, his tattoo is just wrong I'm afraid.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Well, vini can mean "of wine". So in theory the whole could translate to "I saw, of wine, I conquered", which of course doesn't make much sense. I don't think your friend or whoever it was who gave him the phrase meant to use the word for "wine". More likely, vini was just a typo for or a mishearing or misremembering of veni.

Frankle

Well, vini can mean "of wine". So in theory the whole could translate to "I saw, of wine, I conquered", which of course doesn't make much sense. I don't think your friend or whoever it was who gave him the phrase meant to use the word for "wine". More likely, vini was just a typo for or a mishearing or misremembering of veni.
Ahh okay...
Could he potentially fix it? So if it reads "vidi vini vici", and changed it to "vidi veni vici" would that be closer to the "veni vidi vici" translation? (seeming as the order is also changed).
Also thank you so much for this information! (Worried to tell him it's incorrect though...)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Could he potentially fix it? So if it reads "vidi vini vici", and changed it to "vidi veni vici" would that be closer to the "veni vidi vici" translation? (seeming as the order is also changed).
Yes, that would definitely make it better. Although the order of ideas would be wrong, it would at least be grammatically correct.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

vidi bibi vici?

Frankle

vidi bibi vici?
I spoke to him about it and he actually didn't mind that it was incorrect.. He's quite a humorous person so he just laughed at its actual 'meaning'. He said he'll probably get it covered up in a few years.
Thank you all for your help :)

Hawkwood

• Civis

If he went to a proper parlour for that and the mistake was made by the tattooist then I suggest going back there and having the parlour cover the costs.

B

Bitmap

It sounds like the kind of tattoo that you wake up with in the morning, having no idea where you actually got it from or what it actually means. Chances are the tattoo artist was drunk as well, which actually renders the whole thing a pretty accurate depiction of a good night out.

Considering hardly anyone knows what it means, or what it's even supposed to mean, I don't think it should be too embarassing to bear such a unique piece of art. At least it's better than waking up with a close-up image of the deity Priapos drawn on your forehead (not talking from own experience here!).

Frankle

If he went to a proper parlour for that and the mistake was made by the tattooist then I suggest going back there and having the parlour cover the costs.
Actually, 98% of "proper parlours" will tell you that you checked the stencil, so therefore it's the clients fault. Either way, he doesn't care that much anymore.
Not that it really matter now, but he actually was going to go back and talk to the artist, because he was more upset that the artist didn't copy the stencil that my mate GAVE HIM. Which had the correct spelling.

It sounds like the kind of tattoo that you wake up with in the morning, having no idea where you actually got it from or what it actually means. Chances are the tattoo artist was drunk as well, which actually renders the whole thing a pretty accurate depiction of a good night out.

Considering hardly anyone knows what it means, or what it's even supposed to mean, I don't think it should be too embarassing to bear such a unique piece of art. At least it's better than waking up with a close-up image of the deity Priapos drawn on your forehead (not talking from own experience here!).
It was a spontaneous tattoo, but it wasn't one done late at night, so no... There was no waking up and not knowing where it's from.
I mean no offence, but why are you assuming that everyone was drunk?? People make mistakes! And honestly, tattoos aren't even that permanent anymore (ie. tattoo removal, and cover-ups). I just want to clarify, because I don't want everyone on here thinking "fuckin idiot", that Latin is not my mates first language, nor the tattoo artists. My mate did actually check the spelling when he printed out his OWN stencil (and it had correct spelling... I saw the image and it was correct), hence why he admitted that he didn't even really check if the stencil put on his arm was correct... Because he assumed it was his. Also, no; I have no idea why the artist changed it. But I'm assuming it might be because he doesn't like copying other people work..?

Also, maybe surprisingly to some of you, a good night out for my mate is not drinking or doing drugs, as he's allergic to most alcohol and doesn't like drugs (plus he falls asleep at 9pm haha). Hence he wasn't under the influence (and it was 2pm...). The tattoo artist was also not under the influence, as he is a professional and works for quite a reputable place, but unfortunately, he did changed the stencil. Yes, that is the artists fault for not checking the spelling himself, but it is my mates fault that he didn't double check that the writing was correct (again; he just assumed the artist was using his stencil that he printed out for him). He has learnt his lesson that if he wants to get a spontaneous tattoo again, he will not get any writing done. And if he wants writing done, then he will go to a consultation, etc.

Hopefully this has cleared up the fuzzy image that some of you have of my mate... And sorry for replying to something that isn't really a big deal - people can make their own opinions of who a person is (of course), but at least you have the right story.

B

Bitmap

Sorry, that particular misspelling "vini" (= "of wine") just lent itself to that kind of joke. It wasn't supposed to be any kind of personal offence.

Frankle

Sorry, that particular misspelling "vini" (= "of wine") just lent itself to that kind of joke. It wasn't supposed to be any kind of personal offence.
No no, it's all good.
To be honest, I'm confused myself as to why he's considering not changing or covering the tattoo, because as I mentioned, he doesn't drink. Bit strange, but his body... Haha