"Wait and Hope"

Seiko

This is part of a longer quote from The Count of Monte-Cristo which has always resonated with me. It's really helped me get by during hard times where I wondered if I'd be able to pay my bills and through family crises, and I was able to keep going. I'm thinking of using the phrase as a wax seal.
In the context of the book, it's that you might have to wait through life's suffering for something better. I guess it's like endurance, but with an eye that better things will come? The full quote is this:

English:
until the day when God deigns to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom will be in these two words: "Wait and hope”!

French:
jusqu’au jour où Dieu daignera dévoiler l’avenir à l’homme, toute la sagesse humaine sera dans ces deux mots : " Attendre et espérer" !

I've seen a modern adaption of the book that tries to boil down the quote into "bide your time, and hold out hope". I personally don't know if that's the best (biding your time is not the same as waiting necessarily), but I don't mind if someone wants to get creative with the phrasing.

In the book this advice is directed towards both men and women, but I'm female if that makes any difference in the translation.

Thank you very much in advance!

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Hi Seiko,

" Attendre et espérer" could be expressed as Exspecta et spem ale / Exspectes et spem alas

Personally (for internal motto) , I would rather choose genuine classical latin composition of poet Ovid
“Perfer et obdura, dolor hic tibi proderit olim. (Be patient and tough; someday this pain will be useful to you.)”

Hope to have been of any assistance to you.

Last edited:

Seiko

Hi Seiko,

" Attendre et espérer" could be expressed as Exspecta et spem ale / Exspectes et spem alas

Personally (for internal motto) , I would rather choose genuine classical latin composition of poet Ovid
“Perfer et obdura, dolor hic tibi proderit olim. (Be patient and tough; someday this pain will be useful to you.)”

Hope to have been of any assistance to you.
I didn't know that composition of Ovid. Thank you.