"Warning: You Are / Become What You Read"

Fleur

I'm trying to give this tagline the same 'vibe' as "You are what you eat"...
Only now: "You Are / Become What You Read". / "Beware Reader, Read This And Your Soul Is Mine:

Essentially meaning: What you're reading shapes your personality, your judgement, ego and opinions, which you then start to act upon. Beware what you read, because it becomes you.

I got to: "CAVEAT LECTOR, NE ANIME MEA SIT" with my textbooks and very impaired knowledge.

The context is that this would be a very snobby "motto" or tag line, for a present-day fictional "media mogul" agency. Ran by a family that has had its grasp on the manipulation of public opinion for centuries. A sort of illustrious Comcast / REUTERS, and in this alternate history founded by a masonic / illuminati type family.

I've spent a good hour on google translate, forums and even dug up my junior year Latin books from the attic, but seem unable to make something nice.

Thanks in advance!

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Hi,

Caveat lector, ne anime mea sit isn't quite correct. If you changed anime to anima (perhaps that was what you originally had and you just made a typo) it would mean "Let the reader beware, lest the/his soul be mine". I think it could be made clearer by adding eius between anima and mea.

Here are other suggestions:

Quod legas, id fias: "You become what you read."

Cave, lector: haec si legeris, anima tua mea erit: "Beware, reader: if you read this, your soul will be mine"

Cave, lector: haec si legeris, animam tuam possidebo: this means pretty much the same as the previous sentence except the last part back-translates more literally to "I will possess/own your soul". That may sound less nice in English but I think it sounds slightly better in Latin than the previous version.