Webcomic Pepper&Carrot's Latin translation

Iáson

Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris

Are there any Latin episodes at all to look at?

Iáson

Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris

It's tempting, the comics are amusing. But there are admittedly a few errors in the earlier episodes. If I get a free moment, I would be happy enough to have a go, but given my lack of facility with software putting up the translation might not be easy.

Maybe we could do it collaberatively on the forum, episode by episode.

Akk

It's tempting, the comics are amusing. But there are admittedly a few errors in the earlier episodes. If I get a free moment, I would be happy enough to have a go, but given my lack of facility with software putting up the translation might not be easy.

Maybe we could do it collaberatively on the forum, episode by episode.
Yes, there is no need in any software. This forum is okay.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I took a look at one episode. The Latin isn't catastrophically bad, but there are quite a few weird things and unidiomatic constructions.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

I took a look at one episode. The Latin isn't catastrophically bad, but there are quite a few weird things and unidiomatic constructions.
It would be helpful to provide examples, so that it can be corrected next time.

I have found one example. The Latin version of Pepper and Carrot is "Piper" and "Carota", respectively. That is funny, since Pepper is the name of a girl and "Piper" is neuter and Carrot is the name of a male cat and "Carota" is feminine. However, exceptions could be made in this case.

Oh, and I forgot to tell you that the webcomic is originally in French (the creator is from France), but much of the website's content is in English (its creator can read and write English quite well).

Since the webcomic welcomes translators of all skill levels, it would be an interesting project to help out (and you will be credited).

And yes, it is very enjoyable for an all-ages webcomic series.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

I swear someone posted about this before

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

I swear someone posted about this before
Merged threads

As had been discussed earlier, we could collaboratively provide Latin translations to the Pepper&Carrot webcomics.

Creator David Revoy allows us to do so.

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Primum episodium legi neque ejus latinitas adeo placuit. Jam monendum exsistimo me parum scire latine neque multum legisse, proinde haec nonnisi opinio est.

Episodium 1: Potio ad evolandum.

Ad: ubi est verbum vel participium vel aliud quid cui praepositio conjungatur?

De evolando incertus sum. Meâ sententiâ, vis praefixûs e- efficit ut significationi se levare notio foras volandi aut avolandi accedatur. Quod, opinor, Forcellini et interpretatione, & translationibus, & exemplis nonnihil confirmat. Potio autem non ideo coquitur ut scopae avolentur, verum ut volentur. Etiam praefixus saepe ad «aspectum determinatum» (Ernout―Thomas §237) verba traducunt.

Et sic finitur

Perficitur mihi aptior videtur, quod non solum praeparationi finis imponitur, verum etiam potio jam praeparata erit. Vide Forcellini & Döderlein.

Noli meditari quidem

Meditatio mihi longior atque profundior videtur quam cogitatio, quod quidem Döderlein confirmat. Ergo, dicerem ne cogitaveris quidem!

Satisfactusne?

Ecce breve dictum. :) Estne latinum? Non enim de ipso statu interrogatio est, velut «Satisfactusne es an offensus?», verum de «satisfactione»: «esne satisfactus?». Cur igitur particula adjectivo adjuncta est? Dicerem «esne igitur contentus?». Nam quoad vocem, malim contentus, quod mihi aptius & simplicius videtur.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It would be helpful to provide examples, so that it can be corrected next time.

I have found one example. The Latin version of Pepper and Carrot is "Piper" and "Carota", respectively. That is funny, since Pepper is the name of a girl and "Piper" is neuter and Carrot is the name of a male cat and "Carota" is feminine. However, exceptions could be made in this case.

Oh, and I forgot to tell you that the webcomic is originally in French (the creator is from France), but much of the website's content is in English (its creator can read and write English quite well).

Since the webcomic welcomes translators of all skill levels, it would be an interesting project to help out (and you will be credited).

And yes, it is very enjoyable for an all-ages webcomic series.
I'm not up for volunteering on such a huge project, which would be extremely time- and effort-consuming.

However, I'll just make a few comments on the episode I've read.

Qualem ventum.PNG

I can't think of any justification for the accusative in qualem ventum. I believe it should be in the nominative, since what's implied is qualis ventus (est)! Maybe the translator was thinking of an exclamatory accusative, but exclamations with interrogative words (like qualis) are a different thing. An exclamatory accusative would be something like o ventum vehementem!

Recordatus es.PNG

Problem with the sequence of tenses after recordatus es: since this verb is past tense, the verbs in the ut clauses should be in the imperfect subjunctive.

Vestes et galerum mea sounds rather unusual. I understand that the translator meant mea as neuter plural, to modify both vestes and galerum at the same time, but the normal usage would be to make it agree with the closest noun (vestes et galerum meum) even if it actually refers to both.
Cum potione.PNG

There shouldn't be a cum here. It would seem natural to make hac potione permira stand in the ablative of means.
Dives.PNG

This doesn't seem to make any sense. Maybe they meant haec potio potest omnem Komonam facere divitem ("this potion could make all Komona rich")?
Sperant a te.PNG

I'm not sure about that phrase, sperant a te, without any object. It kind of makes sense, but is it idiomatic? Anyone come across it before?
deserere.PNG

I think the intent here was "It looks like Sichimi is giving up". Deserere isn't really the right word for this. Cedere should work.
Quasi.PNG

This is ungrammatical because the verb after quasi should be in the subjunctive.
Advenit.PNG

I'm not sure you can say advenit in mentem. I've always seen venit in mentem.

I think facturi would be better than acturi.

That ibi seems a bit weird, too. It normally means "there" as in "the aforementioned place". In this context, if you mean "there" I would say illic, and hic if you mean "here".

More in a next post, because I've reached the limit of images I can upload in one post.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Aviculus.PNG

This should be in the vocative, but in fact they also got the gender wrong. Avicula is feminine.
Tibi placeret.PNG

A potential (future-less-vivid) would make more sense here than a present unreal, so placeat rather than placeret.

Immo is a word that serves to introduce some correction or precision. It doesn't make sense to me the way it is used here.
Fundendo.PNG

Eo de in te fundendo has a really weird word order. But anyway, you need an infinitive here: non diu dubitabo hoc (better than id) in te fundere.

Komona is a city, from what I've gathered. As such, it shouldn't take the preposition e, but it should stand in the bare ablative of separation. That's the rule with names of cities, towns and small islands.

Exis would be better in the future perfect, I think.

B

Bitmap

Problem with the sequence of tenses after recordatus es: since this verb is past tense, the verbs in the ut clauses should be in the imperfect subjunctive.
I thought maybe it could be justified as some kind of resultative perfect ...

Vestes et galerum mea
sounds rather unusual. I understand that the translator meant mea as neuter plural, to modify both vestes and galerum at the same time, but the normal usage would be to make it agree with the closest noun (vestes et galerum meum) even if it actually refers to both.
I think I once read in my grammar that the neuter plural was also a possibility, but I've never actually seen it done anywhere.

This doesn't seem to make any sense. Maybe they meant haec potio potest omnem Komonam facere divitem ("this potion could make all Komona rich")?
I thought so, too.

I'm not sure about that phrase, sperant a te, without any object. It kind of makes sense, but is it idiomatic? Anyone come across it before?
It doesn't make sense to me.
I think it should be te sperant.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I thought maybe it could be justified as some kind of resultative perfect ...
I thought about that, and I believe it could perhaps be justified in ducas, but not in capias (since the taking of the clothes was all in the past).
I think I once read in my grammar that the neuter plural was also a possibility, but I've never actually seen it done anywhere.
It can happen, but in this context I don't think so.
View attachment 7761
I can't think of any justification for the accusative in qualem ventum. I believe it should be in the nominative, since what's implied is qualis ventus (est)! Maybe the translator was thinking of an exclamatory accusative, but exclamations with interrogative words (like qualis) are a different thing. An exclamatory accusative would be something like o ventum vehementem!
Also, quantus ventus would be a better fit than qualis ventus, because her remark is likely about the intensity of the wind rather than other qualities of it.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

View attachment 7771

This should be in the vocative, but in fact they also got the gender wrong. Avicula is feminine.
Perhaps the translator inadvertently combined avicula with avicellus (the latter being Vulgar Latin and later becoming the French oiseau)?

View attachment 7773
Komona is a city, from what I've gathered. As such, it shouldn't take the preposition e, but it should stand in the bare ablative of separation. That's the rule with names of cities, towns and small islands.
Yes, Komona is a city, albeit on a levitating island thanks to the properties of a magical tree in the centre of the city.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

See below:
Pepper&Carrot Latin Episode 6 End.png

When Pepper mentioned that her prize-winning "potion" is Carrot's urine, shouldn't "catti" be replaced with "felis"? "Cattus" is a Germanicism.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

If you're going for classical Latin, it should be felis, yes.

I didn't point this out as a mistake because it isn't really one — more like a temporal-stylistic choice I suppose.

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I'd say, all the rest should be changed, too. Nulla vera potio est, a tempore quo nuper ad medicum visit—this made me shudder.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Perhaps the phrasing is a bit clumsy, but I wouldn't say it's really wrong.