Weep, you girls...

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

There are many possibilities. If you're looking for an authentic quotation, why not contact Prof. Harvey?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It would be very nice to find the original indeed... :(

I've found this very interesting book, but I don't know if it's there... who knows! I'm going to have a look at it anyway because I like that kind of stuff, so if by incredible chance it's there, I'll let you know (but even if it's there it'll take time anyway, I won't read it in one day).

Why on earth do they give English translations all over the net without the originals? Grrr...

When I first found that site I tried to find contact information, but the website is in disrepair. Most of the links on that page are dead. I did google the Professor! But I have a feeling a college Professor would be too busy to provide translations...

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

But I have a feeling a college Professor would be too busy to provide translations...
I think Scrabulista meant the Pr. might be able to find you the original, not a translation... Nothing will ever be worth the original! Now, yep indeed, Pr. may be too busy to bother. Unless he's a very kind guy.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

It would very be nice to find the original indeed... :(

I've found this very interesting book, but I don't know if it's there... who knows! I'm going to have a look at it anyway because I like that kind of stuff, so if by incredible chance it's there, I'll let you know (but even if it's there it'll take time anyway, I won't read it in one day).
http://archive.org/stream/inscriptionespar42zang#page/502/mode/2up/search/dolete
See the one with big lacunae at the top of page 502. This may be it.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Like, like, like, like!

We have part of the original, but it's fragmentary:

............ dolete puellae
pedicat ...... cunne superbe vale.

That is:

........... weep you girls
f*s in the ass ......... good by, proud "feminity" (is "feminity" commonly understood as an euphemism for cunnus?).

But the rest... the dots don't even correspond to the English, unless they mixed it up a little and the "my * has given you up" actually comes before "weep you girls". I can just suppose the inscription has gotten better deciphered now than at the time of that book...

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Are you going the try to contact Pr. Harvey for the (complete) originals? If I were you I think I'd do it, even if there's but little chance for him to reply, you've got nothing to lose in trying I guess.

So if I wanted a translation of the quote as I have it now...
"Weep, you girls. My p**** has given you up. Now it penetrates men's behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity"
What should be different? We're missing the second sentence and half of the third.
dolete puellae
pedicat
cunne superbe vale.
Also, I'm looking into contacting Prof. Harvey.
Thanks again.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Maybe I'd say something like: Dolete puellae, vos mentula mea dimisit. Nunc pedicat viros. Cunne superbe vale. But I feel like I'm committing profanation.

One thing I'm wondering about is that the gaps in the original don't even correspond to the partswhere there is something in the English translation.

By all means do try to ask Pr. Harvey about this and the other ones whose original I could't find ...

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

In fact it seems there's really nothing more than dolete puellae, pedi(co - probably, the second book supplied -co (first pers.), the first one -cat (third pers.), I don't know why because first person makes more sense, there would be no subject for the third person, since "penis" is really nowhere), cunne superbe vale = weep, you girls, I practise sodomy, good-bye wonderous "feminity".

http://archive.org/stream/inscriptionespar42zang#page/500/mode/2up (bottom right)
http://books.google.ie/books?id=Vg9h-tW4KikC&pg=PA100&lpg=PA100&dq="O+utinam+liceat+collo+complexa+tenere+Braciola"&source=bl&ots=Q1GH5fwHeq&sig=CiUufT9LqTjxSUoeheWk1yQi1xc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=7rA4UqXQN-jy7AbGvYGIBw&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=dolete&f=false

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I don't want to necropost but just came across this meme and found this thread by looking for the original text. Can't believe it is lost... There is some version online but it's obviously made up because the words missing are not a verse.

IMG_20220729_164023_404.jpg