What a defenseless, busy, tiny chap; About our children

maximilianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Hi to anyone who reads this.

I would like to ask how to say "What a defenseless, busy, tiny chap", being busy in the sense of meddling and chap as a synonym for fellow

As a second request I need to say "About our children", being children in the sense of grown-up descendants. I've done some research on my own and I came up with "De fili nostro" (or is it nostrum?), but I'm not sure to be correct.

Hope you have a fine day, and thanks in advance. :praying:

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Re: A pair of phrases please

I can help you with the second request. If you're referring to descendants in general, and not merely children, I would go with :

De prole nostra
De progenie nostra
De posteris nostris

All these words mean children, offspring, progeny, descendants, etc...and still convey your sense, but the last one is the closest to 'descendants.'

maximilianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

mattheus dixit:
I can help you with the second request. If you're referring to descendants in general, and not merely children, I would go with :

De prole nostra
De progenie nostra
De posteris nostris

All these words mean children, offspring, progeny, descendants, etc...and still convey your sense, but the last one is the closest to 'descendants.'
Thank you very much mattheus.

maximilianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Btw: I understand Ludoviciana is a plant. Is it also a place in the States (never heard of it)?

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Ludoviciana is Louisiana, USA. I had no idea it was used as a name for a plant...Where are you from?

maximilianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I was born in San Juan (Saint John in english), a tiny province in the far west of Argentina. It's very similar to your Arizona (hot weather, sweat a lot). I guess Ludoviciana is Louisiana's latin form, right?

As for the plant itself (though I dunno much about plants) its scientific name is Artemisia ludoviciana and I understand it grows in most of the states of your country, each one giving it a particular informal name. In Louisiana it seems to be called Louisiana wormwood (in normal speech , lol).

Nice talking to you, thanks for feedback.

Zombye

maximilianus dixit:
Hi to anyone who reads this.

I would like to ask how to say "What a defenseless, busy, tiny chap", being busy in the sense of meddling and chap as a synonym for fellow

As a second request I need to say "About our children", being children in the sense of grown-up descendants. I've done some research on my own and I came up with "De fili nostro" (or is it nostrum?), but I'm not sure to be correct.

Hope you have a fine day, and thanks in advance. :praying:
"What a defenseless, busy, tiny chap": "Talis inermis musca pusilla" - "Such a stingless tiny gnat".

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

homunculus could work for "tiny chap."

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Well, Maximilianus, it seems everything seems to fall into place. I have never heard of Louisiana wormwood, but I am surprised the Latin name makes sense. Very good observation! We learn something new everyday, don't we?

maximilianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Dear Zombye, your phrase reads just great, thanks a lot

maximilianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

scrabblehack dixit:
homunculus could work for "tiny chap."
Homunculus sounds powerful, many thanks. Btw: I can't quite remember an english straightforward equivalent. Can you?

maximilianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

mattheus dixit:
Well, Maximilianus, it seems everything seems to fall into place. I have never heard of Louisiana wormwood, but I am surprised the Latin name makes sense. Very good observation! We learn something new everyday, don't we?
You can bet we do, everyday.

PS: mind my asking, where in Louisiana are you? Baton Rouge, Orleans maybe? Sorry for asking, just curious.