What are you listening to? (music)

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
Much as I’d love to pick up a lute (though I never would), I think if I were to go for an obscurer (than guitar) string, I’d have to go for the shamisen.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Much as I’d love to pick up a lute (though I never would), I think if I were to go for an obscurer (than guitar) string, I’d have to go for the shamisen.
I'm quite impressed with your instrument choice. Judging by your previous affection toward PIE and sanskrit, I was expecting you would go for sitar.

Last edited:

Adrian

Civis Illustris

Last edited:

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Hawk's redux toward baroque music triggered a fond memory - one of the first guitar pieces I was taught at PMC - Bach's minuet in G

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
I'm quite impressed with your instrument choice. Judging by your previous affection toward PIE and sanskrit, I was expecting you would go for sitar.

During my student times I used to play hindu aerophones like bong and हुक़्क़ा (huqqā);)
The sitar is also very beautiful. But what I love about shamisen is the percussiveness of the plectrum. It’s also very raucous, where the sitar is mellow in sound.

This song is from an anime, but it features a very real Japanese trope: the blind biwa singer, earning his bread by the recitation of folk songs. It’s also an established musical form, although I don’t remember what it’s called.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

Tironis

Civis Illustris
Quite an appropriate song for 2020, dominated as it is by Covid-19 and Brexit

Adrian

Civis Illustris

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
Here’s a very cool & uncharacteristically minor-bluesy chart by Fats Waller which bears a striking resemblance to the theme of Очи черныя, a very popular Russian folk song. Given that ol’ Fats was a personal friend of George Gershwin, & worked with Stravinsky on material he would later perform at Carnegie Hall, it’s probable that the resemblance is not mere chance.

Last edited:

Tironis

Civis Illustris

Tironis

Civis Illustris
Here’s a very cool & uncharacteristically minor-bluesy chart by Fats Waller which bears a striking resemblance to the theme of Очи черныя, a very popular Russian folk song. Given that ol’ Fats was a personal friend of George Gershwin, & worked with Stravinsky on material he would later perform at Carnegie Hall, it’s probable that the resemblance is not mere chance.