What are you listening to? (music)

Tironis

Civis Illustris
(Currently) my favourite Chopin Polonaise.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
(Currently) my favourite Chopin Polonaise.
If not the fact that Rachmaninoff was a legend per se, I would put Rubinstein as the greatest pianist of 20th century.

Last edited:

Tironis

Civis Illustris

Rubinstein certainly belongs to the 20 "greatest" pianists listed here. But I find it difficult to talk about "the greatest". I would also add some of my favourite - "great" or otherwise - pianists: Maria Joao Pires - Shura Cherkassky - Solomon - to name just a few.

Adrian

Civis Illustris

Rubinstein certainly belongs to the 20 "greatest" pianists listed here. But I find it difficult to talk about "the greatest". I would also add some of my favourite - "great" or otherwise - pianists: Maria Joao Pires - Shura Cherkassky - Solomon - to name just a few.
I would add Ignacy Paderewski and Vladimir Horowitz (just in aspect of piano mastery); but if international recognition was considered, I would have to add Prokofiev and Shostakovich (but they were more concertrated on symphonic music)

Tironis

Civis Illustris
I would add Ignacy Paderewski and Vladimir Horowitz (just in aspect of piano mastery); but if international recognition was considered, I would have to add Prokofiev and Shostakovich (but they were more concertrated on symphonic music)
Horowitz is actually included in the list. I'd agree about Paderewski, although he was past his best by the time he was recorded - by all accounts. He also wrote a fascinating autobiography. Apparently his wife was fond of parrots and they used to travel the world with cages full of parrots and cockatoos.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Horowitz is actually included in the list. I'd agree about Paderewski, although he was past his best by the time he was recorded - by all accounts. He also wrote a fascinating autobiography. Apparently his wife was fond of parrots and they used to travel the world with cages full of parrots and cockatoos.
Never knew about the cockatoos :D. I'll have to revise what I said on Paderewski (I though he was strictly pianist and perfomer - I didn't know he composed quite a lot pieces not only for piano but also orchestral works)

Paderewski's minuet Op 14 No 1 perfomed by Rachmaninoff

Godmy

A Monkey
Brought back memories of the 2016 Russian aircraft crash in which members of the Red Army choir perished.
....while on their way to Syria (I think?) to legitimize somewhere Putin's aggressive international policy. Don't get me wrong, I really like Alexandrovci (the singing is awesome; my sister saw them once live in Prague), but this seemed almost like a just punishment. Too bad they end up being a government tool, nothing else.

Last edited: