What are you watching?

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
This is positively fascinating. I need to look further into this ancient Egyptian god who was born of a virgin and turned water into wine, was killed and rose from the dead.

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
This is positively fascinating. I need to look further into this ancient Egyptian god who was born of a virgin and turned water into wine, was killed and rose from the dead.
I don't want to watch the whole video. Are they saying there was an Egyptian god with the same vita as Jesus Christ?

Being born from a virgin was a rather popular topos in the antiquity, I think.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Are they saying there was an Egyptian god with the same vita as Jesus Christ?
Well, maybe not exactly the same, but with many similarities. I've heard of such things before (a certain Mithras, I think, for instance).

A guy in the video is arguing that there never was a Jesus of Nazreth and Christianity was actually taken straight from Egyptian mythology and retold as if it had happened more recently in Palestine. This is far from being a generally accepted theory, of course.

In my opinion, there probably was a Jesus of Nazareth and pagan elements, including Egyptian ones for all I know, may have been borrowed into the myths that developed around Jesus after his death. It could also be that the similarities with Egyptian mythology are coincidences.

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
It could also be that the similarities with Egyptian mythology are coincidences.
As I said, certain topoi are rather common in all places of the antiquity. Another one is the hide-the-child-by-the-riverside-so-evil-persecutors-can't-find-it story that happened to both Moses and Romulus and Remus. The story of Jesus' family fleeing to Egypt shortly after his birth is similar.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
This is rather interesting!

Dantius

Homo Sapiens
Staff member
I've heard of such things before (a certain Mithras, I think, for instance).
I don't think there was that much similarity between Mithras and Jesus. Mithras was some sort of assistant of Ahura-Mazda in Zoroastrianism, I think, but his cult in the Roman world (which was initially a competitor to Christianity, in a way) wasn't too connected with that as far as I know. The only definite action I know of that's associated with him is slaying a bull, which is frequently depicted in his iconography. I'm certainly far from an expert on Mithraism though, so there might be other similarities.

Apollonius of Tyana was sometimes construed as a pagan version of Christ and performed some similar miracles.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
@Pacifica , your posts here led me to Timeline youtube channel. Pretty interesting stuff. Thank you m'lady:hat:

I started watching Netflix's The Queen's Gambit starring Anna Taylor Joy and Marcin Dorociński. @Bitmap

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Ah... It's a British thing so maybe there are copyright issues applying only in Britain or something like that.

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
And Ireland.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
This might be somewhere on the forum already, but man is that the definition of Scotch-Irish mountain man at 3:43, like holy hell. ‘ratchonder’.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Is that as wingnut as the title would suggest, or do they make Serious Points?
I've watched only half of it so far. What they're saying doesn't seem so unlikely to me, though it's of course mostly speculation.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
In any case I found it rather interesting and enjoyable. I just finished watching it.

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris
Tuesdays 9pm - The Expanse (season 2)
Thursdays 9pm - Gotham (season 3)
Saturdays 3pm - Anne with an E (season 3)

not scheduled
Barbarians (usually weekends)
Emily in Paris (maybe Sunday late night)
Queen's Gambit (started yesterday)
rewatched Black Sails ep. 1, last week, but I'm not sure I'll be frequent in this...

eventually
Vox Machina campaign (Critical Role), I'm in episode 30-something... (It's a hundred and a few...)

I think I'll try that Thieves of the Wood (De Bende van Jan de Lichte)... I just finished The Frankenstein Chronicles, Fridays 9pm... (I watched Stranger Things Saturday nights, so, when I had to set a time for Black Sails, I put it Friday nights. Then I finished it, and put Frontier Friday nights. I abandoned Frontier because, for pity's sake! it's a mediocre plot writing! Then I started Frankenstein Chronicles, which I've just finished, and now, maybe, I'll begin Thieves of the Wood. That's the story of my Friday nights.)

Last edited: