What Latin phrases do you use or overuse in daily life?

malleolus

Civis Illustris
Well, not quite.They have to translate Latin texts written by Roman authors and then answer questions concerning vocab, morphology and syntax.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima
Well, not quite.They have to translate Latin texts written by Roman authors and then answer questions concerning vocab, morphology and syntax.
Oh, ok. Not so bad, I've done that sort of thing before in English class.

Answering questions in Latin would terrify me though... ;)

Tomer

It seems to me that I would gravely enjoy being your student, malleolus.

I've been known to say "Fiat lux" when I turn on a light.
Unfortunately, the original Hebrew is very commonly drawn out here, so it wouldn't enlighten anyone that much.

Tempora mutantur is a favoritve of mine in any language.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima
It seems to me that I would gravely enjoy being your student, malleolus.
I think you mean "greatly" ;)

Unless you mean that you would be very serious and solemn during your Latin lessons with malleolus. :D

Tomer

Actually, I've deliberately used gravely for the oxymoron I hoped it would convey, while meaning to imply of the seriousness I would definitely expect from a teacher-student relationship.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima
Actually, I've deliberately used gravely for the oxymoron I hoped it would convey, while meaning to imply of the seriousness I would definitely expect from a teacher-student relationship.
Ah, I stand corrected, then, though I don't see how it contains an oxymoron...

Tomer

As far as my English goes (which might be not as far I assume), I took it that the adjective grave can have in it a sense of somber conduct, almost-religious seriousness, even dark by manner. Juxtaposing it with enjoy, I also took the liberty of calling that pair an oxymoron. I could be wrong, but it feels so to me, poetically speaking. Anyhow, point being malleolus sounds like a teacher I'd like to have.

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
Does anyone actually say those abbreviations?

Desmond Conacher said that he often had cause to mumble καλῶς γ᾽ ἐρήμης ἂν σὺ γῆς ἄρχοις μόνος, though he didn't specify how loudly, and I'm sure we can all think of examples where it would come in useful.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens
Staff member
I often say little phrases like "gratias" and "vale", sometimes without even meaning to.