What Latin phrases do you use or overuse in daily life?

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Mutatis mutandis, because there's no other way of communicating the concept in any language I know of without laborious periphrasis. I use O sancta simplicitas! on the internet quite a bit, but don't think I would say it in conversation. And QED, of course, if that counts, which is may not, given that it's probably used by millions of people who don't actually know what the letters stand for, let alone the rest of the Latin language.

Ilraon

I don't use any latin sentence often at all, and when I do they are quite short (because I'm the only one of my friends who learns latin and understands).

Besides, I'm not even sure it's correct, but I used to say:
Eo eamus!
When we were directing to the cafetaria (quite an enjoyable moment).

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I use O sancta simplicitas!
I like that one myself, but rarely use it since both the meaning and the allusion remain buried for most hearers. The English "Oh, bless!" has to do instead.
etc., e.g. and i.e. are the Latin I most often use, I'd say.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

etc., e.g. and i.e. are the Latin I most often use, I'd say.
I was going to say maybe vice versa, but I was forgetting about those, which I certainly more often too.

Ater Gladius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I am taught to avoid etc. , i.e. and e.g. , so the Latin I most often use is perhaps vs and its full form, versus.

Or anus.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

I hadn't really thought of things like e.g. or even vice-versa as Latin, because everyone uses them, and they're not pronounced classically by even the most pedantic of us. But yes, of course.

I had imagined all of you dropping quotations into your daily exchanges in the manner of a dowager duchess distributing coins to thronging beggars. Obviously they're not as meaningful for non-Latinists, but very few people pay attention to anything they hear, in my experience, so this isn't a crucial failing. Anyway, there's one I often have need for that I'd forgotten: Pereant qui ante nos nostra dixerunt. Again, not so much pretension as economy: I don't know any way of expressing the idea in fewer characters in any modern language. It comes up a lot, because in the internet age you're a click away from finding out who's pipped you with something you think you've just thought of.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

in the manner of a dowager duchess distributing coins to thronging beggars.
LOL!
I suspect if I did that I'd rapidly lose most of my (non-forum) friends ;)

Tomer

Etaoin, I love the way you express yourself. Conversing with you in person should prove skillful, I'm sure.

Moi, I often use classical exclamative expressions, some of which I've deliberately taught to my close friends. I also enjoy mixing the languages we speak to an extent of elaborate ridicule, from which artistic ideas often occur.

Mehercle, me miserum and the likes. I personally try to install as much spoken Latin as possible into my colloquial use, mostly to myself that is, by answering certain rather oblique human situations with aquila non capit muscas and tantundem est/esnte?

Tomer

Id est! :D
And adding our world-apart-semetic-twist to it makes ya roll on the floor.

Kolm

i.e. and e.g. of course :D

and just right now while doing school work I wonder how many times I use sic, ibid and et al even in social media o_O

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Nope.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Maybe he just meant that i.e. is a Latin phrase that he uses daily, not "id est" as in "code-switching IS fun"!

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Mmm, not impossible I guess, but it rather seemed that he meant to reply "It is!" to my comment.

heirtothewind

When I practiced law, I would sparingly use Latin [eg, sua sponte, ipse dixit, res ipsa loquitur] in briefs. Sometimes I sigh 'Sic transit gloria mundi.'